VelocityYellowRules!

RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
While like most guys I was interested in cars when I was growing up. But oddly never Corvettes. My first foray into being a sports car owner was a 1982 Datsun 280 ZX NA. Not a powerhouse but I always considered them to be a beautiful car, affordable and a great deal of fun to drive. As funny as it seems to me now, it was originally two-tone brown and I had it repainted in, as I recall, 1980 Corvette yellow, oddly enough apparently it was called "Happy Yellow"! For some reason I have a yellow fetish, probably starting with a Chevelle that I saw in my college parking lot back in 1985 and I never lost my love for this color. Subsequent vehicles were a 1999 Dodge Dakota, in Solar Yellow, a 2005 TDI New Beetle in Sunshine Yellow (not the right shade or tint but still yellow!) and finally a 2008 Sentra SER in yellow.

I considered getting a 300 ZX TT as my next sports car back in around 2000 I think it was but getting married and buying a house kind of put that on hold.

As life does go sometimes, I was diagnosed with cancer in January 2006. Treatment ended in May 2007. August 2007 followed with with a nasty divorce which resulted in some cashflow difficulties. Then employment problems! I always tell people if you think you are having problems in your life right now lend me your ear and I can probabvly make you feel better about your life by telling you my story!

I still never really developed a liking for Corvettes as time when on. The C5's were not all that bad looking but still not my cup of tea and I even strayed further toward considering a Supra or RX7..............but then in 2005 I started to see pictures of the new C6 and have to admit that I fell in love! of course there was the minor issue that these cars, the Z06 in particular, were going to be sticker priced at about $110,000 depending on how they were optioned and not the sort of thing that I (agronomist) would probably ever be able to afford. But one always has dreams!

Sadly the 1st year of cancer treatment, which is normally 80% effective, failed to work for me and so I was told I only had one other treatment option but is is only 40% effective and "is the hardest treatment program we can subject a patient to". So I didn't head into this with a very good attitude and basically was expecting to die. The 2nd year treatment exceeded the degree of suffering that I had even imagined in my wildest dreams!

I do remember one of the things that I told myself when I was checking out of the Cross Cancer Clinic in Edmonton in May 2007, that I was going to go to the Chev dealer on Whyte Avenue and start the process of getting a Z06. My gift for having made it through the treatment.

As luck would have it I never completed the order and thankfully did not have a Z06 as part of the "maritial estate" that would have to be split!!

The usual nasty divorce ensued in which we both made sure our lawyers had a banner year. But that ended in October 2010 and I started the process of rebuilding my life.

But always in the back of my mind I told myself - if I made it to the 5 year period post treatment and remained cacner free I was getting that car!

So checkup after checkup, ever 6 months and in April 2012 I had my last checkup and they told me "we don't ever want to see you back here again". Six days later I flew to Vancouver and looked at and bought a 2006 Z06 with 19,000 km for $43k and then had a life changing 1500 km drive to my home in northern Alberta!

I had only a few opportunties to drive the car as I do farm and May and June were taken up with farming activities so outside of going to get my son, a 55 km drive, and occasionally to town to get the mail it was not until July that I was able to spend more time in driving the Z06.

It amazes me that they were able to produce such a car and that even at $110,000 would be such a fantastic bargain. I so vividly remember going out with the saleman and then after we drove for a short while he pulled over so I could drive. Shifting into 2nd gear and flooring it and scaring myself silly and I think it was a good 5 minutes before my heart stopped pounding. The salesman neve realized that when I first saw the car I knew I would be buying it.

The area I live in is populated by the Mustang/Camero crowd. Honestly I can't imagine how mis-guided these people are. The would rather buy a car like than than a 6 year old garage queen Z06 which is going to give them a much different car experience.

There are a few other Corvettes in the area. There is another grey C6 Z06 in the area but I have not been able to find the owner yet. Some C5 convertables, a C4 coupe (even yellow!). It is so much fun that while the Mustang/Camero/Challenger drivers never seem to wave, when I meet another Corvette owner there are always broad smiles and waves exchanged.

The reaction of people to the car is so enjoyable! From kids who stare and would be textbook cases of being "gobsmacked" to guys yelling how much they like the car and women who would never have giving me a second look who now look and smile at me. Thankfully before I got the Z06 I already found a wonderful lady to have in my life. But I'd be lying if I said the attention is not a fun experience.

Modifications to the car? None to date. Thankfully 505 hp seems to be enough for the time being.

Also no Vipers in this area so it is also sort of fun to experience that other boyhood dream - to have the fastest car in town!!!!!!

The license plate????? N0CANSR of course!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a number of questions to ask about the car but that it is it for now and I appreciate the space to ramble..............

Garry

Welcome Garry. That's one helluva story, Glad you made it.

I work up North, so if I see a yellow Z06 I'll give you a wave.

( We like pictures too)

Trying to add a picture............

Problems for the computer un-savy! That's ME!

So I'm working on shrinking pictures............

OK, perhaps some of you can help with a few odd questions/experiences.

1)Traction control. The sales guy told me to either leave it on all the time or in the intermediate setting. What you most of you use?

2)Problems in shifting. I find the gear shift vague. I can't say how many times I've gone from 2nd to 5th. Is this common and only sorted with experience?

3)Aftermarket airfilters. I added them to the Dakota, 280ZX and Sentra SER. I like them as they are simple to install and inexpensive. What brand seems to be best, have you done this as a common 1st modification? Is it as straightforward as any other vehicles you've done?

4)I can't get the seat setting/exit system to work 100% of the time. I have the park break set but often find I have to manually move the seat back or move it forward and reset the memory.

5)Why in 2006 was there no MP3 plug for the stock stereo??

Thanks!

Garry

Attachments

• P1210874 - Copy.JPG
    P1210874 - Copy.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 12
Welcome Garry and congrats on the new ride. Yes post up pics when you get a chance -- It seems we all love the yellow ones a lot.

You story was heartfelt -- kudos for keeping the chin up and staying strong.

Looking forward to chatting and seeing some pics.

Colin

Welcome Gary!

Loved your story and the happy ending it had. I also had a "thing" for Datsuns. Mine was a 510 pickup truck, complete with mag wheels, 60 series tires and a shortened shift handle. That was 42 years ago, it stuck out like a sore thumb :D

Before I bought my Corvette I looked at a fully restored 240Z, then a new 370z but eventually fate led me to my '04 convertible.

Looking forward to a picture or twenty. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing your story Garry. Welcome to the forum.
Congrats on winning your battle and getting your life on the Fast track.
I feel your pain as far as the lawyers are concerned. I'm sure I put a couple of their kids through college.
Enjoy your Vette. She's a beauty
:canada:

Problems for the computer un-savy! That's ME!

So I'm working on shrinking pictures............

OK, perhaps some of you can help with a few odd questions/experiences.

1)Traction control. The sales guy told me to either leave it on all the time or in the intermediate setting. What you most of you use?

2)Problems in shifting. I find the gear shift vague. I can't say how many times I've gone from 2nd to 5th. Is this common and only sorted with experience?

3)Aftermarket airfilters. I added them to the Dakota, 280ZX and Sentra SER. I like them as they are simple to install and inexpensive. What brand seems to be best, have you done this as a common 1st modification? Is it as straightforward as any other vehicles you've done?

4)I can't get the seat setting/exit system to work 100% of the time. I have the park break set but often find I have to manually move the seat back or move it forward and reset the memory.

5)Why in 2006 was there no MP3 plug for the stock stereo??

Thanks!

Garry

What an incredible survisor story Garry . Glad to see that you are once again on top and enjoying life ......in a Corvette too :canada:

Let me answer your qestions for you >

1. Leave the Traction control ,its the safest way to drive your vette

2.Change out that sloppy shift for the MGW and your shifting will feel positive everytime.

3.Only air filter you need for that Z is the Vararam Snake Charmer . Best money you will ever spend on your vette.

4. There is a progamming to keep it set . Email me your email to :
[email protected]
I will send you all the info you need .

5. There is an adaptor that you can add to the rear plug for ipod.

If there is anything you need or want to know , I happen to know a few things about these cars, and we are dealers for all the parts I mentioned :D

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum Garry...That is a great story that is really worth sharing with us and I am glad to here that you came out strong....and you also made a wonderful choice by getting a Vette...Those who have never driven one, has no Idea what they are missing :D...Send us some pic"s ...can't wait to see it !!

Hi Gary!

It's really too bad that for most of us, it takes a life changing experience to either change our lives or start realizing how precious it is! I have to agree with all previous replies that that is a great story you have....well, it really sucks that you had to go through that to have a story like it, but that is awesome that you made it through! Everyone seems to be affected by cancer. We've had a couple members pass away because of it and others are just finishing their battle or currently dealing with it. What a terrible disease. I am so glad to hear your success story, especially how it wasn't easy and that you made it through the lower probability treatment. It gives hope to people struggling with this.

Glad you got your dream car! That is my dream car as well!...someday. I'm looking forward to having you as a member!

Gary, welcome! for me it was always a goal to own a vette, ever since i was about 5, so my goal was 45 yrs in the making. glad you are healthy again and enjoy! if i make to edmonton i'll try to look you up. if you are ever near Moose Jaw give me a shout

Gary,
What a great story! As a survivor also, I can relate more than most. No one should ever hear these three words "you've got cancer". Fortunately for us, I got my C6 before being told that phrase. Mods - hell yes. Velocity Yellow - you bet!

I had my last treatment on June 7, 2012 and the implant should wear off by early September. My license plate - SOULSRFR (I still snowboard and longboard for an ancient old dude)

Peace

Wow! A kindred spirit. I was stage 3 Hodgkin's. Under my arm, across my chest, left side of neck. I got lucky as I had a severe case of PMS - Pattern Male Stupidity. I found the lump under my arm in about April 2005 but sat on it until Jan 1st 2006. No snowboarding but lost 100 lb after all treatment ended and got into running marathons. No doubt, tintcoat velocity yellow! Could there be any other color??

Best wishes,

Garry

Wow! A kindred spirit. I was stage 3 Hodgkin's. Under my arm, across my chest, left side of neck. I got lucky as I had a severe case of PMS - Pattern Male Stupidity. I found the lump under my arm in about April 2005 but sat on it until Jan 1st 2006. No snowboarding but lost 100 lb after all treatment ended and got into running marathons. No doubt, tintcoat velocity yellow! Could there be any other color??

Best wishes,

Garry
I think I was a bit luckier. Stage 3 prostate cancer - too advanced to be cut out so went straight to high dose rate radiation followed by 5 weeks of low dose rate radiation and 2 years of medical implants. I am still with the most wonderful woman after 37 years together (married 33).

I guess it taught us that we only one ticket on this ride called life so enjoy every bit of it.

Cheers. mate. Hope to meet you someday.

Pierre

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.