Anyone charged their A/C with a propane based refrigerant?
Haven't done it and likely wouldn't due to the safety factor but that's just me. A leak and a spark would be all it would take to have a nasty result. There have been incidents of techs getting badly burned when working on AC systems and not being aware that it had been converted to propane so if you do, make sure you label the system accordingly.

This is mainly a Canadian issue, as R134a is not available to the general public at the retail level here. Redtek and equivalent options for the DIY consumer are all propane based formulations.

I disagree with your fears around safety based on the fact that propane based refigerants having been used safely for decades in A/C. Although you are thorectically correct, the compressor oil added to a R134a charge is mineral based and flammable.

I have been running a Redtek equivalent safely for 15 years in my Corvette, it makes sense from a maintenance standpoint and runs a lower head pressure than R134a. I have had no issues as of yet and works well.

Actually, PAG oil is technically combustible but not a flammable liquid. Depending on refinement, it has a flashpoint of 399 degrees Fahrenheit. R290 Propane on the other hand has a flashpoint of -156 degrees F. But whatever. Use safely if you do go the propane route.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I have decided to agree with your argument. Why then is it that none of the Canadian retailers that are government mandated to provide to the general public only propane based refrigerants, do not provide stickers to properly label the system and charge an additional fee to remove it? Their mechanics have gas detectors capable of detecting R134a and propane refrigerants in the A/C system.

Something smells really bad to me about our system of governing.

I`ve never mail-ordered fluids, anything not available at the retail level is grey market.

Haven't done it and likely wouldn't due to the safety factor but that's just me. A leak and a spark would be all it would take to have a nasty result. There have been incidents of techs getting badly burned when working on AC systems and not being aware that it had been converted to propane so if you do, make sure you label the system accordingly.
This just an FYI. Many moons ago I was involved in a truck and passenger burn law suit in Texas. Fire entered the truck cab and the passenger jumped out with truck moving, which did him more harm than the burns. Anyway our US Air Force flame progagation expert proved the fire which burned through the heater core was from the AC refrigerant. Now everyone knows freon, which is what was used in those days, is inert. Yes but the oil in the system caused the pressurized escaping gas from a burned through hose to act like a flame thrower. I don't know if modern refrigerants can do a similar thing or not. Maybe someone can answer that question.

I purchased a box of the R134A small cans from a refrigerant guy in Sherwood Park this year, $10 a can. All good, worked like a charm retrofitting a Vintage Air system in a 70 BB car.

Anyone charged their A/C with a propane based refrigerant?
Yes years ago when I had a Porsche 928...80 model so used freon which 20 years later when I had the vehicle, was hard to get & expensive. My mechanic sourced out Duracool...which was propane based. Inexpensive and worked perfectly for a few years until I got rid of the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.