R

RockyPM

Hi all, we've had some hot days in Alberta over the past couple of weeks and my A/C was not performing. It was actually cooler with the A/C off than on. Took the car into a local rad shop here based on a referral from my mechanic. Within an hour of dropping off the car they called me and said my A/C compressor was plugged solid and it was cheaper to replace it than try to clean it and straighten all the fins. The list of things that had to be done;
- evac both the A/C and coolant systems
- remove compressor and radiator from car
- clean and test radiator
- get new compressor.
-re-install parts and fill fluids.

Work should be done today and sure happy I had it done. I guess 13 years of German, lower US and Canadian bugs took thier toll on the cars cooling systems. Looking forward to not hearing the fan as much and I won't be worried about taking it south to Kentucky next year!
The radiator actually sits behind the compressor!
1 - rad.jpeg
Close up of the radiator!
2 - closeup.jpeg
Radiator all cleaned up and ready to re-install! Now I'm cool!
3 - rad cleaned.jpeg
The Culprit! Plugged A/C compressor. Look at all the bent fins on this baby and can you figure out which area is exposed to the opening in the grille? Going to look for a screen to cover this so I don't have any issues in the future!
4- old compressor.jpeg
New Compressor delivered and ready to install!
5 -new c.jpeg

A bit a maintenance needed to keep everything working in top notch order. the shop is very clean and mu car was covered on both side of the engine bay. The rads come out from the underside and they don't have the proper lift so drove the car up a ramp to raise the front end and get underneath. It worked very well. the shop showed me the car with the rads out and all hoses plugged and very clean inside the bay and underneath. Happy with the work and will see how the cars runs once I have it back late today.

...actually it's called a condenser, a compressor is the pump driven by the belt. Yeah yours was really plugged. I have cleaned stuff like this many times. A blow gun, then a pressure washer does a pretty good job right on the vehicle. Your engine will be much cooler running now plus the a/c will blow cold.. ...stay cool !!!

Aaaannd that’s why I took it to a professional! Thanks XFire for the clarification. Now when I talk about this I won’t sound like I don’t know what I’m talking about. (Which sometimes is correct!)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.