Dec 1, 2017
Vaughan
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 1998 Rag
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I need assistance please. I have a 1998 with 48,000 k's and the compressor has lost all of it's oil. I need a new one. I was able to retrieve the part number. It is a Chevrolet/Delphi # 1137019.
I went to the Corvette Depot website and asked if this would fit the car and they said yes. They refer to there's as # 3122417 for $350.00, same as Delphi Part # CS0132. They said it's new, but I feel that ac clutch and o rings are not included. The picture on the site shows the clutch attached. When I cross reference this part number on YOYO Parts website it said that it is a direct fit. I phoned Wilson Niblett they wanted my vin # and I gave it to them and they said that the part is $1,100.00. AC Delco brand. They did not want to give me the AC#. He must of figured that I was shopping around. Corvette Depot has another compressor # 3184371 for $750.00, new plus the ac clutch and o rings are included.

This is where I need help. Why the price difference if they are both new. Can someone please help.

Thank you.

Hi Corvette1998..
Car parts can be quite different in quality from original GM parts down to other manufacturers.
Many parts made off-shore may be direct replacemnts but not necessarily built to the same standards.
It can be a get-what-you-pay-for item.
Some suppliers even have various quality offerings amongst their own inventory.
ROCK AUTO can have 3 or 4 offerings at various values/quality for the same part.
Even AC DELCO has different quality levels for their parts offerings.
There is also a chance that some parts are new, as new or rebuilt as new..
Sometimes much research is needed.
I find that the more I get to know my GM parts guy the more it will benefit me in cost(discount) and advice.
The parts guys usually know what parts work and what have issues down the line.
Buy what you are comfortable with.

Graham

Hi Corvette1998..
Car parts can be quite different in quality from original GM parts down to other manufacturers.
Many parts made off-shore may be direct replacemnts but not necessarily built to the same standards.
It can be a get-what-you-pay-for item.
Some suppliers even have various quality offerings amongst their own inventory.
ROCK AUTO can have 3 or 4 offerings at various values/quality for the same part.
Even AC DELCO has different quality levels for their parts offerings.
There is also a chance that some parts are new, as new or rebuilt as new..
Sometimes much research is needed.
I find that the more I get to know my GM parts guy the more it will benefit me in cost(discount) and advice.
The parts guys usually know what parts work and what have issues down the line.
Buy what you are comfortable with.

Graham

Very good post Graham.

You pay for what you get in almost every case.

Hi Sisto..
I am lucky to have established a rapport with a local GM Dealer..And especially the Parts Guys.
They sponsor our car club, I know the owners and they are car-guys.
I typically stay with GM/AC Delco parts for my cars. They just fit...period.
My experience in my early car days are that sometimes aftermarket parts are a compromise in some way.
Sometimes a comprise is OK but if it is a major part then I prefer ones that fit.
I find the dealer Parts people will not be supplying parts to the dealer Service department more than once!
They can usually tell me if a part passes the test.
Contact your local Corvette/Car club(or group, etc) to see if they have anything set-up with a Dealer or other parts source.
YMMV

Good luck with your compressor.
Graham

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.