77rat

I'm New Here
Aug 9, 2010
ottawa on.
VetteCoins
Car
1977 coupe
I have a 77 A/C Auto car that I replaced the drive train (and almost everything else) to a 71 ls6 454. The car is a late build 77 and had the R4 compressor and no VIR . GM never built a corvette with a 454 and the R4 compressor. I have an A6 compressor and the corvette 454 mounting brackets. What issues am I looking at if I use the A6 compressor with the existing system. I have the lines, new drier, metering valve etc. I know the A6 is a heavy old unit but you can't kill them and it fits right in the car. Brackets for the R4 to fit the 454 are coming up scarce. It was originaly a r12 system and I have r12. Are there differences in pressures or volume of flow between these compressors? Does anyone have any direct experience with these systems and interchanging parts?

That A6 compressor and R12 are the best combo my opinion. If it fits then use it. Make sure you add enough oil and a little extra does not hurt. Pressures should not be different I think as you are still using R12 . Adding a electric fan would be a plus to aid in cooling the rad thus helping the a/c run cooler and lower pressure.

Reactions: 72ray
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread