Jan 21, 2015
Sutton West, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1989 C4
Hi Guys, I'm considering buying a 89 C4 with 120,000 miles, any areas of concern to look at regarding rust. I'm to believe the car has been in Northern climate all it"s life. However, not winter driven with its current owner the pass ten years.
Regards
Barry

Most Corvettes don't see much for winter salt because most folks store them in the winter .that said over the year common dirt and sand will remove some of the under carriage paint .The frame would be my main concern and I'm sure you'll find some rust but hopefully only minor .

Again C4's are great cars just keep in mind there are thousands for sale

Hi, had a look underneath it looked great little bit of road dust and no rust. However another area of concern though, there was some oiliness on the rear of the diff. Is this a common thing with these cars and how best to deal with it. Any experience you might offer would be appreicated. I realize the car is 26 years old, perfection is not nessary, just really don't want someone else's problems without knowing what I'm jumping into.

Kind Regards
Barry

Brian is correct .Plus keep in mind that it's 110% chance the fluid hasn't been changed in 26 years .Glad to hear that there is little or no rust .

Tell us a little about the car if you get a chance .

Guys thank you, so far the info and reassurance. Here's what I know about the car, it was brought approximately 10 years ago to Ontario from Chicago Ill, the car barely ran. The current owner not put off, phoned the former owner to discuss what he knew. the car had been purchased through a auction in New York state. He turned his attention and investigative abilities to the place in Rochester NY. Some one there had pulled the the engine and replaced the block from a I think 88. When the engine went back in, the bolt holes between the block and bell housing didn't line up. Needless to say, the car had a few issues. On the possitive side the original block John found out was still sitting around and with a pickup truck, he brought the orginal block back. The orginal block was put back into shape by a local engine shop. A new bell housing came from Dino's Corvettes as it had been damaged, the engine currently has 8000 mile since refresh. Clutch, brakes are the same vintage. Everything appears to be working, I'm aware that the electronic dash can be a source of aggreivation. Door seals, and new carpet kit are installed. Left to do is paint, and seat covers need to be recovered or something, no tears though.

Last edited:
Don't let the starwars dash scare you off. There is a couple of places that can refurbish them. Not cheap to do, about $350, but not a deal breaker in my opinion.
Carpets and interior work is also no big deal, just time consuming. Covers and carpet sets are ready available. Nice that the original block is back together with the right car.
Lots of these cars on the market...so I wouldn't pay too much for it. Supply and demand you know.
Good luck.

Yup I hear ya on price, I'm not looking for perfection either, more a case of what can I expect. Almost forgot the fact it's a 6 speed manual, any ideal how many of these manual transmission's were produced in 1989. How about this for a question, are the automatic's convertable to a 6 speed. I've seen this done to Mustang's, wasn't that painful. There's lots of well preserved automatics available around $6-7 thou. Now with that in mind how much value does the 6-speed add to the value of the car, if any at all. Then is it, the Dana 400 rear end as well, I'm forgetting what I've been told.

Last edited:
Yup I hear ya on price, I'm not looking for perfection, more a case of what can I expect. Almost forgot the fact it's a 6 speed manual, any ideal how many of these manual transmission's were produced in 1989. How about this for a question, are the automatic's convertable to a 6 speed. I've seen this done to Mustang's, wasn't that painful. There's lots of well preserved automatics available around $6-7 thou. Now with that in mind how much value does the 6-speed add to the value of the car, if any at all. Then is it, the Dyna 400 rear end as well, I'm forgetting what I've been told.

In '89 GM built 16,663 coupes and 9749 verts (from my Corvette Black Book) -- of those 4113 MN6 manual trans were produced.

The 6 speed came with the h/d Dana rear axle -- There should be a stamp or tag on the axle itself to confirm the size and ratio.
The automatics came with a slightly smaller and lower ratio axle.

As far as converting an auto to a manual -- our friend (and sponsor) Nasty98 -- Manny- will give you some idea of the conversion and cost but I'm pretty sure he'll tell you it's not too feasible and very costly.
A quick pm will confirm that for you.

The Black Book that I mentioned is available at Corvette Central for about $16 and as you can imagine is very handy.

Good luck with your build.
Colin.

We found our '05 on Kijiji, the colour we wanted, low mileage and six speed. Keep an eye on there and you will eventually find what you want, in good shape at a price you can afford. Buy the newest, lowest mileage car that is in your budget. You don't have to buy a rusty winter driven Corvette. Most get stored away so the summer driven cars are not scarce. Just don't get in a rush. Your car will come along.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.