mck683

Casual User
You're 5
Sep 14, 2017
Vancouver Washington
VetteCoins
Hinge problem. Hood hinge cable broke/jammed on my 88 (can't open the hood) . I bought the tool from Ecklers but can't even come close to getting it to work. anyone have any experience?

Last edited:
Do you know where the cable broke?

If it broke at the interior handle, you can try grabbing the cable itself with vice grips and trying to actuate the hood release.

If it’s broken further down the line, you (unfortunately) just have to keep trying with the release tool.

Mine still works fine (knock on wood), but I’ll be adding the “e-release” cables to the latches soon for this very reason....

If it broke at the interior handle, you can try grabbing the cable itself with vice grips and trying to actuate the hood release.

If it’s broken further down the line, you (unfortunately) just have to keep trying with the release tool.

Mine still works fine (knock on wood), but I’ll be adding the “e-release” cables to the latches soon for this very reason....
I tried that but doesn't even move. I'll keep trying. Walked away from it for a day or two. I've gotta be in the mood. I have spent probably 4 hour trying.

Please give us more info on the "e-release" cables!
My 27 year-old cables I feel are on borrowed time and am definitely interested!

I've seen it in a couple places. You just put a wire on the release and run it over to under your wipers, then make a loop. That way, if the hood cable breaks, you just fish out that cable and give it a yank to release the latch.

here's a video someone did of them:

Of course, now someone can pop you hood from the outside if they know about your "e-cables". I plan to use black plastic sheathed cable to make it a little less obvious if anyone were to shove thier face down there to look.

Ignore the "rooster head" guy in the vid,you're just after the cable info....LOL!

Last edited:
I've seen it in a couple places. You just put a wire on the release and run it over to under your wipers, then make a loop. That way, if the hood cable breaks, you just fish out that cable and give it a yank to release the latch.

here's a video someone did of them:

Now I bought some peace of mind.
I purchased a set on eBay and installed them tonight, no problem.
Then I closed the hood to try them out.
Left side worked great.
On the right side though, the crimp in one of the pull loops let go.
I had to take the cable off, re-drill a hole for the cable in the crimp and mashed it my vise.
Same old story, someone takes a great idea and cuts as much cost out of making until it breaks on first use.
But it's bullet-proof now.
Thanks for the tip!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.