Ontario Ontario
Aug 24, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
87 Corvette
Province
ON
Hi everyone,

sometimes (not always) I get a plume of blueish smoke coming out of the exhaust at start up. I find that it happens only when car has been driven, turned off and started a short time after.
It never happens during cold starts. Its probably the valve seals but was wondering if it could be something else i.e PCV valve or fuel regulator or leaking injectors or running straight pipes without mufflers (but still have the middle catalytic).

I'm also getting a code 36 as well not sure if its related to my issue.

Any insight into this would be helpful.

Thanks

I did a google thing, here's what I got: Blue exhaust smoke only at start-up can indicate worn piston seals or damaged or worn valve guides which may also cause a rattling noise. An external engine oil leak can drip onto hot engine and exhaust parts causing what appears to be blue exhaust smoke. Other possible causes of blue exhaust smoke include: piston wear, worn valve seals, a dirty or non-functioning PCV valve, worn piston rings, an intake manifold gasket leak, worn engine oil seals and possibly even head gasket failure.

Oil leaking into the cylinders can cause a rough idle, misfire and fouled spark plugs. In addition, a reduction in power and oil loss can be indicators that the blue exhaust smoke is caused by an internal engine oil leak. Internal engine oil leaks can also allow fuel to mix with the oil in the crankcase which will degrade the oil and prevent it from adequately protecting the engine.

Suggest go for something simple first, check the PVC Valve. Good luck.

Reactions: SamNardi
Typically, valve seals are also indicated when you let off the gas and are slowing down under engine compression. Had to do my 340 Duster. Seals cured it.

Reactions: SamNardi
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.