May 31, 2009
hespeler, cambridge
VetteCoins
Car
1987 c4
Time for some input. I am 99per cent going with muffler eliminators for my car. Heard one a while ago and at idle seemed reasonable but at throttle sounded great. Apparently the three cats on it muffle most of the normal drone. Anyone out there have this setup that can offer pros and cons. Was going to wait for spring but thinking listening to it run once a week in winter would be nice too. Just concerned as I want the sports car sound not the muscle car on a budget loudness. Thanks.

Well, I did something similar a few weeks back on my 85. my mufflers needed to be replaced to I took it to the muffler shop and said cut them out and run straight pipes. I am surprised at how well it sounds. no drone, Not super loud but sounds awesome. If your interested I am over in Hamilton if you want to swing by and hear it. The cost was basically the labour to do the job and I gave the chrome tips to weld on. I figured if I didn't like the sound I would put mufflers on anyways but I actually love it. \

I want to a couple of muffler shops and they wanted about 300. then I took it to green and ross and had it done for about 150 all in including the tips. its only just over an hour labour to remove the old mufflers and make pipes to replace.

I ended up making a custom cat back for my 88 z51 myself using straight tubing and a dual inlet dual outlet MagnaFlow with a set of 4 inch tips. It's unique, though, in the way that the 2 4" tailpipes exit the middle of the car like the sledgehammer from Callaway. It's sounds awesome and I'm sure I gained a few ponies due to the straight back design. There are no bends in the system from the y in front of the center cat. I'm going to be starting a thread soon about it with pictures. If a lot of people are interested I might even make more for the community and give an inexpensive and unique alternative to what we have now!

I ended up making a custom cat back for my 88 z51 myself using straight tubing and a dual inlet dual outlet MagnaFlow with a set of 4 inch tips. It's unique, though, in the way that the 2 4" tailpipes exit the middle of the car like the sledgehammer from Callaway. It's sounds awesome and I'm sure I gained a few ponies due to the straight back design. There are no bends in the system from the y in front of the center cat. I'm going to be starting a thread soon about it with pictures. If a lot of people are interested I might even make more for the community and give an inexpensive and unique alternative to what we have now!

been wanting to do this for a while, waiting on this thread!

When I want loud, I take out my V-twin Ducati.......In my Vette, I prefer to be able to talk to my wife or listen to tunes. Personally, I think eliminators sound like a UPS truck, Magnaflow system is a nice compromise. Nothing wrong with spending a few bucks and making up your own mind. Spend a week with it and you might love it, or hate it.

As far as drone goes with this new cat back system, it does have some drone around 2000 rpm but its nowhere near as bad as flowmaster 40s on my 79. Sounded like the interior was going to disintegrate! The thing is though, when you floor it, the sound from the L98 is fantastic. It honestly just feels like it want to just scream and not stop.... It actually find it hard to stay off the throttle because the pull is awesome. IMO, The key to enjoying it more though, if you happen to have an automatic like me, manual shift it through second and third. I find you get a better exhaust note that way plus you can enjoy engine braking! Bit of a delay sometimes between shifts so that's no good but, hey, that's what I got!

Range... totally agree! It's worth taking a shot at building your own because you just might find you actually like it. That's assuming you're set up to do that type of work. I priced out various OEM style replacements and they all where going to add up to between 700-1000 by the time it got here. At the time I was looking at C6's with 2 centered tailpipes and the Sledgehammer and thought "yep, that's what I'm gonna do!". It cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 for parts and my time. I like that better!

To add some more.... I would think that a simple switch up of the muffler to another baffle design, it might bring noise levels way down but still provide a nice straight exhaust system. That was sort of the deciding factor for me. The lack of unnecessary bends! Had to remove the spare tire to do it too btw. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread