Feb 23, 2009
Edmonton, AB
VetteCoins
Province
AB
Ok so got to near the 800km mark so decided to take the car into Northgate today for oil change. Nice thing they let you come and go into the lube bay to watch and or chat ( not much to watch seeing action is under the car). So they start the process and I walk away for about 15 minutes and come back and see car running. Watch it run for about 5 minutes then ask why is it running so long and are you done? Oh "it is our standard practice after removal of old oil to add in ~6L and run for 10-15 minutes. Let it sit a minute or so then top up the rest ( about 3.5 L) and run for another 5 minutes then check levels. Is this right? I even pulled out the .pdf of MY2019 Z06 oil change steps in the manual and nowhere does it mention this partial fill and check step nonsense to me. At least I saw the Mobil1 esp 0w-40 oil is correct. I think their method is just wrong. When leaving I asked what dealership would think running any car partially full for that long.... response oh not most vehicles but no issues on the Corvette dry sumps. Am I missing something?? Like after dealer finishes with the 4 freebies I'm going to change this way? NOt, per the manual...... Do I raise this further up the chain? Also asked for fun to click an image underneath.

RIMG0609.JPG

Capture+_2019-05-27-11-09-39.png

I have 2 Northgate Dry-Sump Corvettes (2016 & 2017) and the Rays still seem happy to us ...
I did notice the same when I was in there - the same procedure for 5 oil changes.
When I asked it was kinda explained that running it distributes new oil to all the areas
where oil is otherwise just fed in the wet-sump pan like in 1LT and 2LT without Z51 .... A.K.A. I have no idea what I was told. 🤣
The other 4 oil changes have been done in Calgary and I don't get to see them do it here ...
We have one more inclusive (free) left ... it'll likely be done here in Calgary though.

- when you say that you have 4 "freebies" (I always use the term "inclusive" as nothing is free when I bought the car)
this way both dealer and I are on the same wave length that I did pay for it and it's not a "free gift" at all.
Any how you are aware that you still have 4 left after the first 1 with a dry sump at 800kms - we got a total of 5 per z51 Ray.

Last edited:
Reactions: frankmp
Ya im sure those "free" oil changes are well factored into the sale price. Lol. Spence ask Calgary dealership how they do it or watch. Still makes no sense to me vs recommendation of manual. Guess the day i start doing it myself those "special oil spots" wont be getting the oil Northgate think it needs..
I hear ya ... and it was kinda like it's areas where oil goes and floods to ... as there is no 10-litre reservoir ... kinda leading me to believe that 10 liters wont go into the entry point without it being moved around by running.
Hey I just throw my money at these guys ... all I know for certain is that dry sump system will make it harder for me to switch out my passenger front quarter vent with a carbon fiber one ... 😁

We will see what my Calgary dealers say ... then I will perhaps watch a good buddy do a dry sump renew ... then I will try one on my own with help from a lift (thanks to another good buddy).

Last edited:
Reactions: frankmp
Ok so got to near the 800km mark so decided to take the car into Northgate today for oil change. Nice thing they let you come and go into the lube bay to watch and or chat ( not much to watch seeing action is under the car). So they start the process and I walk away for about 15 minutes and come back and see car running. Watch it run for about 5 minutes then ask why is it running so long and are you done? Oh "it is our standard practice after removal of old oil to add in ~6L and run for 10-15 minutes. Let it sit a minute or so then top up the rest ( about 3.5 L) and run for another 5 minutes then check levels. Is this right? I even pulled out the .pdf of MY2019 Z06 oil change steps in the manual and nowhere does it mention this partial fill and check step nonsense to me. At least I saw the Mobil1 esp 0w-40 oil is correct. I think their method is just wrong. When leaving I asked what dealership would think running any car partially full for that long.... response oh not most vehicles but no issues on the Corvette dry sumps. Am I missing something?? Like after dealer finishes with the 4 freebies I'm going to change this way? NOt, per the manual...... Do I raise this further up the chain? Also asked for fun to click an image underneath.

View attachment 27314

View attachment 27315
That sounds very strange to me. I always pull out about 9 liters, put in about 8 1/2 run and top up as required. I always go to the bottom of the hash marks. Never had any signs of oil in the intake.

Last edited:
Frank I agree with Spence and Ziggy. Mine get just a bit after the change and warm up run. They seem to be overcompensating for overfill prevention with a volume that won’t overfill a wet sump engine for the sake of continuity in the general lube procedure.
Although I do not agree with doing this... overfilling your dry sump LT4 can be catastrophic.
I would just take it to a dealership that does it right or insist they do it right. Of course there’s always Ziggy to lean on... he will put it in to the ML of perfect. (Meant as a joke but in a higher complementary way @turbozig)

Sounds like a lame excuse for someone that doesn’t know what their doing. Haven’t had great luck with Northgate service department..... they could give me 30 free oil changes, never used one of them on my car or truck. Not worth the stress.

FWIW
I have motorcycles that have the dry sump and it is standard practice to fill the oil in two stages.
Do a partial fill as specified in the manual, run the engine for a specific time and then finish filling.
Otherwise the oil can overflow and make a mess.
Some don’t understand the dry sump and will check the oil cold. They don’t get any oil showing on the dipstick and will add. As soon as they run the engine it overflows the oil and there is a mess.
The way to avoid this 2 stage filling be to build a reservoir into the design to handle the overflow. I expect that is the design of your Corvettes but I would expect specific instructions to check the oil properly. Like running the engine to have hot oil, then shut down the engine and after a set still time, check the oil.
Am I close guys?

Reactions: hemicat
FWIW
I have motorcycles that have the dry sump and it is standard practice to fill the oil in two stages.
Do a partial fill as specified in the manual, run the engine for a specific time and then finish filling.
Otherwise the oil can overflow and make a mess.
Some don’t understand the dry sump and will check the oil cold. They don’t get any oil showing on the dipstick and will add. As soon as they run the engine it overflows the oil and there is a mess.
The way to avoid this 2 stage filling be to build a reservoir into the design to handle the overflow. I expect that is the design of your Corvettes but I would expect specific instructions to check the oil properly. Like running the engine to have hot oil, then shut down the engine and after a set still time, check the oil.
Am I close guys?

It’s all in the manual yes however the instructions say to dump in all the oil. They call for running the car for a minimum of 15 seconds and checking it, but further above in the manual under “checking oil” it describes the engine to be properly warmed up the before checking and why.

I must admit the instructions for the dry sump oil changes could be a bit better as they do not indicate changes to be done with a warm engine... thus the 15 minute run on the fresh oil change.

Likely GM tech instructions are much better that the crap in the manual.
It’s a bit like:
Step 1: jump
Step 2: look what you’re landing on🤣
C74912CA-BE86-406B-B7FF-9DB12FCAAF72.png
E42FB3A3-70D4-4BFA-ABC3-E227A9440CA3.png
95BD819F-8617-4E6B-B203-B6CBE55FB93C.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread