Dec 22, 2022
VetteCoins
Province
QC
Hi all, came across this '73 Vette for sale, let me know your thoughts on the price and the car in general, thanks.

Thanks.

Reactions: OL Yeller
Hi all, came across this '73 Vette for sale, let me know your thoughts on the price and the car in general, thanks.

Thanks.
Not to be negative (I had a C3 years ago, then a C5 and now a C7)...I don't think C3's are generally selling for anywhere near that kind of $. 73 and 74 were also the worst years for pollution controls...harder starting, hesitation...when they replaced these with catalytic converters in 75 they ran much better. I had a 73 GM and 74 Ford along with a 74 MGB...and they were awful in that respect. Just my opinion.

As O Y stated, you need to have someone who knows these vettes inside out look at it. They will likely check the birdcage right away. They really got carried away with the black paint in the engine bay and undercarriage. It looks nice. If serious it would be a good idea to find out who built the engine and what parts were used (manufacturer). It’s easy to be enamoured with the shiny items. It is what you do not see that can turn a dream into a nightmare.

Not to be negative (I had a C3 years ago, then a C5 and now a C7)...I don't think C3's are generally selling for anywhere near that kind of $. 73 and 74 were also the worst years for pollution controls...harder starting, hesitation...when they replaced these with catalytic converters in 75 they ran much better. I had a 73 GM and 74 Ford along with a 74 MGB...and they were awful in that respect. Just my opinion.
Looking at the pictures, there seems to be a 383 400 horsepower stroker engine in there so not an original '73.

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
Masic, also, for that kind of money you could get into a C5/C6 which will be so much better all the way around. That probably will be the better choice. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
The reason why I like the 73 C3 is because it still retains the look of the muscle era. The C4 and the C5's never really appealed to me. The C6 maybe. Why would you say they'd be better all around?

Reactions: Jack Raccoon!
Masic, also, for that kind of money you could get into a C5/C6 which will be so much better all the way around. That probably will be the better choice. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Totally agree...when I moved from my C3 to a C5 (had both for 15 years each) it was just light years ahead in every respect. Not sure what they're going for now, but I sold my mint C5 M6 (albeit with 135K kms on it) for $11K Can pre-Covid. And it wasn't easy to get more than that 3 1/2 years ago.

The reason why I like the 73 C3 is because it still retains the look of the muscle era. The C4 and the C5's never really appealed to me. The C6 maybe. Why would you say they'd be better all around?
Do a bit of Google research on the improvements found in the C5/C6. Too many to list here.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Totally agree...when I moved from my C3 to a C5 (had both for 15 years each) it was just light years ahead in every respect. Not sure what they're going for now, but I sold my mint C5 M6 (albeit with 135K kms on it) for $11K Can pre-Covid. And it wasn't easy to get more than that 3 1/2 years ago.
My C5 had 52,000km when I purchased it in 2018 for $14K (the location and a couple of other factors played in that). Not likely to get it for that now but for around $20K you should get a very good one. I thought I wanted a 1980 C3 for many many years. but after getting into the C5 i'm so glad that I didn'd get the C3.

Edited to add: IMO the C5 handles great, the ride is not rough and it's very comfortable on long runs. No doubt I dearly love the styling of the C3 because thats the generation that got me hooked on the Corvette, but I love my C5 and wouldn't go back in time to the C3. I think every generation has merrit as well as challenges and ultimately you should get the car that appeals most to you. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
My C5 had 52,000km when I purchased it in 2018 for $14K (the location and a couple of other factors played in that). Not likely to get it for that now but for around $20K you should get a very good one. I thought I wanted a 1980 C3 for many many years. but after getting into the C5 i'm so glad that I didn'd get the C3.

Edited to add: IMO the C5 handles great, the ride is not rough and it's very comfortable on long runs. No doubt I dearly love the styling of the C3 because thats the generation that got me hooked on the Corvette, but I love my C5 and wouldn't go back in time to the C3. I think every generation has merrit as well as challenges and ultimately you should get the car that appeals most to you. Just my thoughts.
Same here...the C3 is arguably the most iconic Corvette design hands down...and was my entry into a 40 year love of Vette's that continues with my C7 to this day. I enjoyed the C3 for 15 years...daily driving even in the winter commuting into the city for work...had 225K kms on it by the time I sold it. As OL Yeller mentioned, the C5 is so much more comfortable inside yet handles better...mine had 345 HP vs my L82's 220 HP. My C3 also didn't have a/c, power locks, cruise control...all of which the C5 did. I had the C5 for the same length of time, and the number of repairs I had to do on it vs the C5 was considerable. Cars just weren't made as well in the 70's/80's...the C3's motor was badly leaking & burning oil...I went through 3 clutches (and not because of not driving it properly...all of our daily drivers are manual's also) as the bearing kept wearing out...2x trannies as the synchro rings wore out prematurely and gears started grinding. One of the worst things was the rear differential u-joints...they had to be replaced every 2 years and that was not cheap to have done. On the C5...I had absolutely none of this. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Guy likes the looks of the C3. Let him live his dream...

Reactions: OL Yeller and masic
I owned a C3 for 7 years and I considered a C5 too. the C3 is a 50 years old technology. Comfort and performance are not optimum but everytime I take it, I get the thumbs up from men and women of all ages,(except the Honda Civic drivers with the tuned muffler …). When my heart lean toward a C5, I go read the C5 threads talking about the check engine light or fault codes that require days and dollars to fix. The C3 engine is simple. No faulty electronic to deal with. For me, the biggest downside of the C3 is the difficulty to find a mechanic to work on it. The C5 is a very nice car. If you go this route, read the forum carefully before selecting a car. A C3 can give you a lot of satisfaction too.

I owned a C3 for 7 years and I considered a C5 too. the C3 is a 50 years old technology. Comfort and performance are not optimum but everytime I take it, I get the thumbs up from men and women of all ages,(except the Honda Civic drivers with the tuned muffler …). When my heart lean toward a C5, I go read the C5 threads talking about the check engine light or fault codes that require days and dollars to fix. The C3 engine is simple. No faulty electronic to deal with. For me, the biggest downside of the C3 is the difficulty to find a mechanic to work on it. The C5 is a very nice car. If you go this route, read the forum carefully before selecting a car. A C3 can give you a lot of satisfaction too.
Thank you for that bit, I needed some encouragement.

He asked the question "Why would you say they'd be better all around?" and got answered..

A couple of people seemed to be directing him to another model instead of the car he likes. That was the direction of my comment. I'll start replying using quotes...

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I just saw the little clip of the car in the link provided by the OE poster. It does look good and sound great, however here is my dilemma:

The previous owner(s) put quite a bit of effort and money (sweat equity???) into that car. Really need to see the history of the car from the last few years (10 minimum) to see if it was heavily worked on. I always question a vehicle like this that after all the work done conveniently shows up at an used car dealer FS after it's finished (if it really is finished or previous owner decided to bail).

Was the car always in the condition shown in the video clip or was it an "Overhaulin' " special to look current the last few months/year or two?

Comparing a C3 to a C5/6 is hilarious. There's 20-30 years of auto technology advancement between these generations. It all depends on what you are looking for. If the OE poster is serious about that particular C3 I would have it checked VERY thoroughly so there are no surprises, especially at that asking price.

Tony

I just saw the little clip of the car in the link provided by the OE poster. It does look good and sound great, however here is my dilemma:

The previous owner(s) put quite a bit of effort and money (sweat equity???) into that car. Really need to see the history of the car from the last few years (10 minimum) to see if it was heavily worked on. I always question a vehicle like this that after all the work done conveniently shows up at an used car dealer FS after it's finished (if it really is finished or previous owner decided to bail).

Was the car always in the condition shown in the video clip or was it an "Overhaulin' " special to look current the last few months/year or two?

Comparing a C3 to a C5/6 is hilarious. There's 20-30 years of auto technology advancement between these generations. It all depends on what you are looking for. If the OE poster is serious about that particular C3 I would have it checked VERY thoroughly so there are no surprises, especially at that asking price.

Tony
Thanks. There are some additional pictures of the inside and the undercarriage and a description of the engine on the same page from the link.

@masic…
A ‘73 is a nice choice of C3. People like the new front end and the chrome bumper rear.
A good mix. The price shown seems to be a little on the high-end.. BUT if the car is clean then it is not out of range too far. Certainly not a flipper price.
Be absolutely sure you have a shop check it out. RUST would be your biggest evil.
Parts are parts.. they are all available From multiple sources for a C3 car.
i am so lucky to one of each, both a C3(40 yrs)and a C5(9 yrs). Excellent transportation.
C5‘s can have many more expensive repairs. The C3 just might be constant little things.
C3 alternator $100-200. C5 alternator $500-700. You choose.
When I go to my garage my choice of car is usually the C3. ‘75-ZZ4-380HP-4-speed.
BUT the C5 convert is nice for taking out my date or/and heading on long trips.
We have put 140,000 miles on the ‘75 Since 1982. Lots of smiles.

i believe the C3s are on a move upwards in value.. but they better be solid or that can be <$10K pretty easy.
check it out closely and put yourself in the seat, it will be a great’ride’!
PM me if you have some detailed questions.

graham
Langley, BC

@masic…
A ‘73 is a nice choice of C3. People like the new front end and the chrome bumper rear.
A good mix. The price shown seems to be a little on the high-end.. BUT if the car is clean then it is not out of range too far. Certainly not a flipper price.
Be absolutely sure you have a shop check it out. RUST would be your biggest evil.
Parts are parts.. they are all available From multiple sources for a C3 car.
i am so lucky to one of each, both a C3(40 yrs)and a C5(9 yrs). Excellent transportation.
C5‘s can have many more expensive repairs. The C3 just might be constant little things.
C3 alternator $100-200. C5 alternator $500-700. You choose.
When I go to my garage my choice of car is usually the C3. ‘75-ZZ4-380HP-4-speed.
BUT the C5 convert is nice for taking out my date or/and heading on long trips.
We have put 140,000 miles on the ‘75 Since 1982. Lots of smiles.

i believe the C3s are on a move upwards in value.. but they better be solid or that can be <$10K pretty easy.
check it out closely and put yourself in the seat, it will be a great’ride’!
PM me if you have some detailed questions.

graham
Langley, BC
Thanks for the insights, I will keep you in mind.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.