I have looked into this an want to do it in the future when I rebuild/swap my engine. From what I have found it doesn't really matter the donor because you have to get the internals rebuilt for the horsepower your car has/will have. However here is a list I have found but includes 700R4, 4L60, 4L60E, and 4L65E:

1982 Chevrolet Blazer/GMC Jimmy
1982-2005 Chevrolet Corvette
1982-1996 Chevrolet Caprice
1983-2002 Chevrolet Camaro/Pontiac Firebird
1985-2005 Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari
1991-1992 GMC Syclone
1989-2003 Chevrolet S-10/GMC S-15/Sonoma
1989-2005 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer
1989-2001 GMC S-15 Jimmy
1990-1996 RWD Cadillac Fleetwood/Cadillac Brougham/Cadillac Limo
2002-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer/GMC Envoy
1992-1993 GMC Typhoon
1984-2003 Chevrolet Suburban
1993-2003 Chevrolet Van
1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala
1994-1996 Buick Roadmaster
1995-2003 Chevrolet C/K
1995-2003 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon
1999- Cadillac Escalade
2002- Chevrolet Avalanche
2004- Hummer H2
2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2004- Chevrolet Colorado//GMC Canyon
1988-2006 Holden Commodore
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO

May not be a completely accurate list or a complete list. And incase you don't have this info yet here is the gear ratios:

First - 3.059:1.0
Second - 1.625:1.0
Third - 1.000:1.0
Fourth - 0.696:1.0
Reverse - 2.294:1.0

Hope this helps.

T

Last edited:
I would recommend you ask Silvervette as they just put a 700R4 into their 76. However, they also installed a newer 5.3 (I think) at the same time which added to the installation.

EDIT: I was way off. Their car is a 77 and it is a 6.0 in their car, not a 5.3.

I recently read a big article re this swap, most guys have been installing the TH200R since it's shorter - easier to fit in - and lighter and more easily modified to handle higher horsepower....

Yes, we put a 700R4 into our 1977. We installed a 6 litre engine (LQ9) from a 2005 Escalade. I think we've worked all the little bugs out of it now and are looking forward to putting some miles on it!

Hi... Found a 700r4 from a 1988 minivan 75$... This is the updated 87 to 93 version with the 4 pinion planetary's and such. Pick it up this weekend and ordering my rebuild parts next week. Bowtie overdrives and Probuilt trans seem to offer the most complete kits around 600 plus shipping (going to build it for up to 600hp so I have room to play). Only takes a day to build one but we have a baby coming any time now so my rebuild may be interupted(might get a chance when while the kid is sleeping.....) Going to build a x member similar to the ones Bowtie offer's and shorten the driveshaft myself. Let you guys know how it goes....

Sounds like a great project. I was going to suggest a rebuild on the tranny as the V6 700-R4's have less clutches in their clutch packs than the ones mated to V8's. However, you are well under way and already have......that.......planned......which makes this a useless post.....well, whatever, post count +1!

200r4

Hi.. I am kind of a do it yourselfer... Being a mechanic I am too cheap to pay someone else to do the work.. I got a good donor 700r4 for 75$ and should come in at about 1200$ for a total rebuild with a torque and tv kit. A 200 would be over a thousand for the build that I want and another three hundred for the torque so for a day of my time I come out ahead with beer and stereo money. ( I did think about it though :).

700r4

almost forgot ..info for others thinking about the swap... I did a lot of research on the 700r4 and found that there is no diference vehicle to vehicle except for the tail housings, governers, torques, servo's (corvette and heavy duty) and shift points. earlier ones 1986 down had weaker clutch packs and planetary's. 87 and up have updated clutches and planetary's... With a good rebuild kit you can add clutches to 3/4 , sleeve for input drum splined hub, better sprag clutches and add bigger band servo's as well as shift kits. This fixes pretty much all of the weak points (unless you want to go for more than 650hp)

almost forgot ..info for others thinking about the swap... I did a lot of research on the 700r4 and found that there is no diference vehicle to vehicle except for the tail housings, governers, torques, servo's (corvette and heavy duty) and shift points. earlier ones 1986 down had weaker clutch packs and planetary's. 87 and up have updated clutches and planetary's... With a good rebuild kit you can add clutches to 3/4 , sleeve for input drum splined hub, better sprag clutches and add bigger band servo's as well as shift kits. This fixes pretty much all of the weak points (unless you want to go for more than 650hp)
wildone909 i don't see any mention of the 200-4R in this thread, there is a guy named Art Carr in Cali that specializes in those, they also look like they can be built strong and they are not as long as the 700r4's eliminating the need to cut the driveshaft, what's your thoughts, I have a '65 that i want to convert.... Art Carr 2004R Performance Transmission, Racing Shifters and Torque Converters he also shows a rebuild kit for $289. : http://www.cpttransmission.com/catalog.htm

Hi.. The 200 r4 is a better fit to the vett being the same length as the turbo 350. With the right kit it should be able to take as much horsepower as you want. I went with the 700r4 because they are more common and I got it cheap and I could do the work myself and save a few hundred $ The driveshaft and x member work is easy for me to do as well at the shop I work at. The 200 has closer gear ratio's as well and may work better depending on how you are going to drive the car. oh... a 300$ rebuild kit is a pretty basic one, if you are going to put out any more than 300hp you will want to go with a more complet kit (bearings, servos, sprag's,pump, governor, seals, gaskets, valve body kits, larger band, better clutches , and so on.. Still a great upgrade in my opinion.
Hope this helps... good luck..

watch where you buy your parts

Just an update on the 700r4 rebuild.... been four months and I still haven't got all of my parts yet.... word of advice.. Dealing with Dana at Pro Built Automatics wasn't my smartest decision. Won't answer emails and seems realy disorganized. Should work out in the end though .. haven't had time to do anything to the trans except clean it up. New babies take up a lot of time..(they are kind of cute and fun at times though):D

Just an update on the 700r4 rebuild.... been four months and I still haven't got all of my parts yet.... word of advice.. Dealing with Dana at Pro Built Automatics wasn't my smartest decision. Won't answer emails and seems realy disorganized. Should work out in the end though .. haven't had time to do anything to the trans except clean it up. New babies take up a lot of time..(they are kind of cute and fun at times though):D

Must be hard to organize all the repairs, parts, and shops needed for such a project, -- I wish you luck with the rebuild.
In the meantime enjoy the new family addition. -- They quite a 'project' too. :D

C.

Hey there... just an update.. all I need is a stupid thinner selective washer for under the input drum and I can assemble the last of the trans.(not enough endplay with all of the new parts) amazing how hard it is to find a 65 cent washer. Hoping the trans shop in the next town will have one on hand. Trying something new with the plastic thrust washer between the pump and the input drum as well to get rid of most of the drum slop the 700 has built in. (knock the dowels off of an old one , drill where the dowels were and piggyback it to a new one) we will see how this turns out.

Last edited:
Well... I put the last couple of pieces in the trans last weekend and painted it. Still need to get a torque converter. Some advice for anyone who is interested in doing their own trans rebuilds, Do it all in one weekend, I did this one 20 mins at a time over a few months(half the time I was a little sleep deprived from the new baby) I just hope I remembered where I left off each time or I may have to pull the trans and do it again.
I will post some pix when I do the install and build the cross member. :canada:

Finally put the trans in the car last week... Freakin awesome.. ran the 1/8 mile today .5 seconds faster than before... 8.25 in the 1/8th.. On the highway 1800rpm at 120ks in fourth lockup.. changed the car completely for the better. love it. Now I just have to make it better looking:)

Great to hear it all came together for you. :D Gets me wondering about which way to go with my '75.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.