That's pretty quick Doug. I've read that if you multiply the 1/8th mile time by 1.57 you can get a close approximation of the 1/4 mile time. That would be 11.70 in this case.

doesn't work that way, first 1/8th is from a standing start, the second 1/8th you are already close to maximum speed so it is a lot quicker.

bingo wayne !!! after the initial launch - especially the first 60 -100 ft - the power band tapers off. by the 1/8th mark the car is in high gear and rolling on the 1 to 1 gear ratio and therefore still accelerating toward maximum r.p.m. once more. greg's formula is close as the stude runs 11.9's in the 1/4. :D

Last edited:
At the Bridgenorth Cruise on Monday evening, I was talking to a guy who does some ONDR racing and he was crying about the entry fees. He cries a lot. Sounds like it's pretty expensive for those in the stands too. I think they need both groups to have a successful show.
Last night at the Lindsay Cruise, I was talking to Spanky and Roger, two dedicated ONDR participants. No mention of costs there, just lots of smiles and having fun the same way they did 40+ years ago.

bingo wayne !!! after the initial launch - especially the first 60 -100 ft - the power band tapers off. by the 1/8th mark the car is in high gear and rolling on the 1 to 1 gear ratio and therefore still accelerating toward maximum r.p.m. once more. greg's formula is close as the stude runs 11.9's in the 1/4. :D

I can't remember where I read it; it may have been in an old Hot Rod magazine. Near the end of the run aerodynamics would be starting to come into play I would imagine.

i'm very impressed with the build of the car. it's all metal with the exception of the hood and deck lid. the chassis is all round tube and will n.h.r.a. certify to 8.50 quarter mile. pass after pass the car runs consistently and hooks up beautifully. :D

At 80-90 mph aerodynamics probably don't have much effect. At 150 mph, in NASCAR and road racing, Smokey Yunick was one of the first to recognize that there were gains to be had through aerodynamics. GM claims that the standard 2005 C6 Corvette has a top speed of 186 mph. The 2004 Z06 was advertised at 170 mph. The only real difference was the effort put into aerodynamic improvements. The hp was about the same. With top fuel dragsters, aerodynamics is everything.
Buy that old Stude and I'll have to jamb your hand in the door to wipe the smile off your face. You are in for a lot of fun.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.