Apr 2, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
23 2LT Z51 mag
Province
ON
There's a toll highway through southern Ontario called 407 ETR (Electronic Toll Road). AKA Electronic Toll Ripoff. Frequent users have a transponder on the inside of the windshield. It "sees" you get on the system, and beeps 4 times when it sees you get off. Well, it's supposed to, anyways. But in my '22 and '23 it doesn't beep, apparently because the C8 windshield glass doesn't pass the RF signal. So then I get dinged for a $4.50 "camera fee" on each trip. When I call to point out that I do have a transponder in the windshield, they waive the fees. Anyone else have this issue?

Someone suggested that the C8 windshield is also the radio antenna, and as such, has metal in it. Can anyone confirm or add?

I take the 407 every day in my C8 and no issues with transponder.
Where is yours mounted? Perhaps that makes a difference. I used to keep mine (camaro) on the dash, but it was intermittent until I mounted it behind the mirror.

I put mine on the underside of the Frunk lid... never an issue other than I don't hear the beeps
When I spoke to the 407 agent about the camera charges, I suggested that I could put it under the frunk lid, as it's composite. She said no, leave it on the windshield. But next time I use it, I'm going to hold it in the middle of the roof, to see if it beeps. I'm inclined to think it might be a defective transponder but she didn't offer to replace it.

To be honest I don't even pay attention anymore. I've been using the 407 for 25 years now. I shudder at the thought of how much money I've given them. My recent bill since I moved to Brooklin is $1000 per month.
But it's the only way! When I worked at York U. it was a nightmare driving on Highway 7. I started taking the 407 from the 404 but then it wasn't worth the savings so I started going down 30 to the 407. The amount of angst it saves is amazing.

The 407 is a great highway, unfortunately, Canadians don't own it.
We do, however, have our Government acting as the collection agency for deliquent payments through your drivers license.
Technically, Ontario taxpayers still own it, it's just that the short sighted Ontario Conservatives under Mike Harris sold the control of it for 99 years back in '99 , for a fire sale price of 3.1 billion. It's worth 30 billion today.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8