Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
VetteCoins
Hey guys. I'm considering installing a 4 post lift in my mancave. PA has a Torin 9000 lb on sale at the moment. Would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks.

I had a Lift King Pro King 8 installed in my garage last Fall and have been very happy with it. See below for photo. PM me for pricing info, if interested. I shopped around and felt they were the best in terms of what you got for the price: quality of the steel, warranty, function and the accessories that came standard as opposed to an extra charge like others, although I can't recall now if I looked at the Torin. I had the "parent company" in Calgary do the install since I felt it best to go to "the horse's mouth" for their expertise. I made the right decision, since the install cost less and unlike their "Edmonton dealer" they said I didn't need to permanently attach the lift to my garage floor, in spite of the floor slope to the trench drain. I'm sure they'd drive out to Red Deer to help you out. When they came to Edmonton, I was one of 4 lifts their 3-man crew installed that same day. As you know, you have to be careful with your dimensions: both where it'll go and what vehicles you want to use with it. The Pro King 8 has an 8,000 lb capacity which is overkill for me. I did have to wait a bit due to shipping delays but perhaps that's not a problem now. Good luck!

4-post Lift King.jpg

Thanks for the reply net. The TCE (Torin 9000) is on sale for $3799 and appears to have good reviews. The only accessory I can see myself using is the caster attachment for moving it around if I ever wanted. I do not plan on bolting it down either as that isn't a requirement. TCE are made in Canada as well which I like. I plan to install it myself as I can't believe it's overly complicated.... but i could be wrong...lol... I have my skidsteer and forks for the heavy work... All else fails I will hire the install out.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I debated doing the install myself as well and suspect you'll find it no problem with the equipment you have. I made use of the castors to move it around and properly place it for the angle of my approach when parking. I didn't want to bolt it to the floor for that reason and also to take it with me when selling the house. However the local supplier insisted it had to be bolted down due to my garage floor slope, which was nonsense. You can however shim the base, if necessary. I do like the trays that came with the lift and of course make use of the ramps. My price was $3,395 + gst, w/o the install, which was $100 off their regular price. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Well, I am on lift #3 so here’s my perspective. Firstly, look very carefully at the lock disengagement mechanism. Not that you have to worry about it crashing down but the long term headache of the multiple angles that some have in their disengagement linkage. My Lift King drove me bonkers as it was constantly needing TLC at the linkages weak point. On several occaisions the Lift King’s crazy linkage setup wouldn’t release a lock and before you know it you have a serious problem. Secondly do not bolt it down. There is no need. Thirdly what set-up are the back up locks in case of failure of the main lock. No need for 220 power. 110 works fine just a little slower.

If price is not the determining factor I wouldn’t stray to far from a Bendpak lift. Currently I have a Bendpak XL9000, which is an extra wide 9,000 pound lift. It will handle a 1 ton. The Bendpak needs an air compressor as it uses an air de-locking system. The latches will not release unless 90 pounds of air forces the lock open. As well the lock cannot open with weight on the lift.

Couple of safety tips with all of them. Firstly unplug the lift at all times when you are not babysitting it. The cheap hydraulic power switches have been known to fail and power up a lift when no-one is around. Hate to see Ginger squished into the ceiling. Secondly always check your locks after you finish lifting the car. Thirdly, always walk around your lift before lowering. I have a new pressure washer because the old one magically rolled itself under the corner of the lift when I wasn't looking.:angelic: Fourthly, mark on the post you can see when operating the pump, your max height, with a sharpie. Not paying attention can cause heartache. Especially if you have a lower garage ceiling and cannot use the max height of your lift. Remember that you need to lift a couple of inches higher when wanting to lower, as you have to lift up to release the locking mechanisim.

They are not that difficult to assemble but two guys is definitely the ticket. The ramp with the hydraulic ram will be heavy.

PM or call me Eric if I can offer you any other pointers.

Well, I am on lift #3 so here’s my perspective. Firstly, look very carefully at the lock disengagement mechanism. Not that you have to worry about it crashing down but the long term headache of the multiple angles that some have in their disengagement linkage. My Lift King drove me bonkers as it was constantly needing TLC at the linkages weak point. On several occaisions the Lift King’s crazy linkage setup wouldn’t release a lock and before you know it you have a serious problem. Secondly do not bolt it down. There is no need. Thirdly what set-up are the back up locks in case of failure of the main lock. No need for 220 power. 110 works fine just a little slower.

If price is not the determining factor I wouldn’t stray to far from a Bendpak lift. Currently I have a Bendpak XL9000, which is an extra wide 9,000 pound lift. It will handle a 1 ton. The Bendpak needs an air compressor as it uses an air de-locking system. The latches will not release unless 90 pounds of air forces the lock open. As well the lock cannot open with weight on the lift.

Couple of safety tips with all of them. Firstly unplug the lift at all times when you are not babysitting it. The cheap hydraulic power switches have been known to fail and power up a lift when no-one is around. Hate to see Ginger squished into the ceiling. Secondly always check your locks after you finish lifting the car. Thirdly, always walk around your lift before lowering. I have a new pressure washer because the old one magically rolled itself under the corner of the lift when I wasn't looking.:angelic: Fourthly, mark on the post you can see when operating the pump, your max height, with a sharpie. Not paying attention can cause heartache. Especially if you have a lower garage ceiling and cannot use the max height of your lift. Remember that you need to lift a couple of inches higher when wanting to lower, as you have to lift up to release the locking mechanisim.

They are not that difficult to assemble but two guys is definitely the ticket. The ramp with the hydraulic ram will be heavy.

PM or call me Eric if I can offer you any other pointers.
Thanks Al. Haven't committed to anything yet... Still deciding and garnering advice. Hadn't seen you around here for a few. How's the new job?

Thanks Al. Haven't committed to anything yet... Still deciding and garnering advice. Hadn't seen you around here for a few. How's the new job?
Things are good, just crazy busy with seling acreage, buying new place, and oh ya the new job.

Good luck with the lift and reach out if you need to.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I echo Cariboocreeks' comments. I have had my Bendpack for about 9 years and zero issues. I like their safety features and the fact that it does not require bolting it to the floor..... (I had sleepless nights over that feature but obviously no issue). Another bonus is the optional caster set.... 4 large heavy duty casters that are an easy on, easy off process, (no need to bolt or unbolt anything) and you can move it (carless of course) anywhere in your garage or outside.

I echo Cariboocreeks' comments. I have had my Bendpack for about 9 years and zero issues. I like their safety features and the fact that it does not require bolting it to the floor..... (I had sleepless nights over that feature but obviously no issue). Another bonus is the optional caster set.... 4 large heavy duty casters that are an easy on, easy off process, (no need to bolt or unbolt anything) and you can move it (carless of course) anywhere in your garage or outside.
What is this carless you speak of....lol. Seriously the castors are a great option. I have rolled mine out onto the driveway, put the car on the lift and hoisted her up. Great way to pressure wash the undercarriage.

I have had a couple lifts over the years and sure miss having one now but our garage here is way too small. The last one I had is similar the Advantage Lifts advertised on Kijiji here. Advantage Lifts: DX 9000XLT | Cars & Trucks | Calgary | Kijiji
I really like the way the lift platform corners fully enclose the posts. Price is a bit higher than PA but might be worth looking at as another option,

I have had a couple lifts over the years and sure miss having one now but our garage here is way too small. The last one I had is similar the Advantage Lifts advertised on Kijiji here. Advantage Lifts: DX 9000XLT | Cars & Trucks | Calgary | Kijiji
I really like the way the lift platform corners fully enclose the posts. Price is a bit higher than PA but might be worth looking at as another option,
Thanks Bob. Will have a look.

Great thread. Will be doing this in the fall/winter after I adjust my garage door to allow for added height.
This is on my wish list for the summer and I am concerned about what is required for the garage door. I have 11 foot ceiling. Is it just having a garage door guy come in and raise the bend point so the door opens near the ceiling? Is there any restriction on using the electric opener. Would appreciate advice from those who have done this.

This is on my wish list for the summer and I am concerned about what is required for the garage door. I have 11 foot ceiling. Is it just having a garage door guy come in and raise the bend point so the door opens near the ceiling? Is there any restriction on using the electric opener. Would appreciate advice from those who have done this.
An 11’ ceiling is more than enough. Depending on the overall size of your garage you may want to look at getting a side opener. The standard garage door opener hangs to low and may be in the way when you raise the lift. I put a side opener on mine and modified the rails for $1500 installed. Had an overhead garage door installer come over and do all the work.

Reactions: Vanguard2001
Ok mister just outside of Calgary

Was going to post a long answer but it was not saved to ipad,
Yup 1 year to study and then buy will get the make tonight
then my mother in laws car could fit in our 60 by 60 garage as she aged
we sold her car after she passed and I still have the lift

Had a camaro 50th anniversary grey under the corvette one winter, a 2014 mustang convertible 2 winter a mustang BULLITT one winter and a truck up to the rear window one winter

so this spring took the wife’s convertible out from below and lowered the lift to about 2 feet off the ground to check tender and left it there

a week later went to get the pickup out of that side of the garage and low and behold the front of the lift was on the ground and the back end was 2 feet high
corvette looked like a funnny car. or a. FUNNY CAR. depending on,your sense of humour or not

rats was I mad, what to do, get a picker truck in there, use 2 jack all’s, use 2 hydraulic jacks and then 8 by 8’s to keep it level then a picker truck

after sitting for 47 minutes I said.
‘just try to lift it again if it breaks the car will be level on the floor and then drive it off once putting the 4 inch ramps on

slowwwwwwwwwwly I pushed the bottom and the front lifted up past level
then pushed the bottom to lower the hydraulic fluid out of the mechanism and it was safely on the ground

did I perhaps push the front posts to far apart after moving the lift 10 times to get it perfect where I wanted it

not sure but man that was as scary as losing control when doing a burnout

same sinking feeling

so will have to,check out what was done if any damage, will measure the distance on the 2 sets of posts, front and back and see

I am so bloody careful when putting it up, I go past the slamming of the side pieces into the holes and then up a]halfway to the next hole

then stop for a few seconds

then push the button to let the lift down and watch it catch on all 2 holes level before even honking what vehicle to place under the corvette

‘scary yes

oh buy the larger heavier rated one and yes got the company to install and put together the lift and still this happened

tired of typing now must go to bed and hope to not relive the memories