Jul 17, 2024
PEI
VetteCoins
Car
MB S55 AMG SCrgd
Province
PEI
Good day.
I have just acquired a 283 block. The numbers 'stamped on the machined boss are 77 6471759 , see below, Can anyone direct me to a web site where I can determine what these numbers mean.
I've looked but run into a dead end.
The block casting numbers are 3849852 and I know what these mean. The stamped numbers that I'm finding it hard to get info on.
Thanks.
283 stamping IMG_9152.jpg

Good day.
I have just acquired a 283 block. The numbers 'stamped on the machined boss are 77 6471759 , see below, Can anyone direct me to a web site where I can determine what these numbers mean.
The block casting numbers are 3849852 and I know what these mean. The stamped numbers that I'm finding it hard to get info on.
Thanks.View attachment 126108
Try this.

To decode the assembly plant code in a GM engine ID:
  1. Locate the engine ID code on the engine block. For V8 engines, it's typically stamped on a pad just forward of the passenger side cylinder head.
  2. The assembly plant code is the first character in the engine ID code.
  3. Use this reference chart to identify the plant:
  • F = Flint (Motor)
  • H = Hydramatic
  • K = St. Catherines, Ontario (McKinnon Industries Canada)
  • M = GM of Mexico
  • S = Saginaw Service
  • T = Tonawanda
  • V = Flint (Engine)
For example, if your engine ID code starts with "T", it means the engine was manufactured at the Tonawanda plant.Remember that the full engine ID code typically consists of 8 digits in this format:(Assembly plant code)(Month)(Day)(Engine suffix code)For instance, in the code "T0830CTY":
  • T = Tonawanda plant
  • 08 = August
  • 30 = 30th day
  • CTY = Engine suffix code (which provides more specific information about the engine)
By decoding the assembly plant code, you can determine where your GM engine was originally manufactured.

Try this.

To decode the assembly plant code in a GM engine ID:
  1. Locate the engine ID code on the engine block. For V8 engines, it's typically stamped on a pad just forward of the passenger side cylinder head.
  2. The assembly plant code is the first character in the engine ID code.
  3. Use this reference chart to identify the plant:
  • F = Flint (Motor)
  • H = Hydramatic
  • K = St. Catherines, Ontario (McKinnon Industries Canada)
  • M = GM of Mexico
  • S = Saginaw Service
  • T = Tonawanda
  • V = Flint (Engine)
For example, if your engine ID code starts with "T", it means the engine was manufactured at the Tonawanda plant.Remember that the full engine ID code typically consists of 8 digits in this format:(Assembly plant code)(Month)(Day)(Engine suffix code)For instance, in the code "T0830CTY":
  • T = Tonawanda plant
  • 08 = August
  • 30 = 30th day
  • CTY = Engine suffix code (which provides more specific information about the engine)
By decoding the assembly plant code, you can determine where your GM engine was originally manufactured.
Thanks for the info. Doesn't seem to apply to these old blocks. There are only numbers on this block no letters,
  • as stamped on a machined pad just forward of the passenger side cylinder head.

Thanks for the info. Doesn't seem to apply to these old blocks. There are only numbers on this block no letters,
  • as stamped on a machined pad just forward of the passenger side cylinder head.
I contacted a GM department , quite a few years ago though , and was able to get all the info on a Pontiac 350 from the casting number but unfortunately can’t remember exactly how I found the contact. Perhaps call GM and ask if they can point you in the right direction. They will no doubt have the info on every engine they have produced in a database somewhere on their servers. The casting number was on the back right side of the engine facing the firewall. On the block. Maybe there is another number that you have yet to see . Hard to see with the engine in the vehicle. If I recall I used a mirror to see it after cleaning all the dirt and old oil off . Good luck with it.

Good day.
Thanks.View attachment 126108
It is an unusual number and would leave me to believe it is a dealer installed replacement engine.
This was common in the 60s and 70s when an engine was replaced with a new one from the factory
and it wasn't associated with a built factory car.

• Informative
Reactions: 1st Vette
I contacted a GM department , quite a few years ago though , and was able to get all the info on a Pontiac 350 from the casting number but unfortunately can’t remember exactly how I found the contact. Perhaps call GM and ask if they can point you in the right direction. They will no doubt have the info on every engine they have produced in a database somewhere on their servers. The casting number was on the back right side of the engine facing the firewall. On the block. Maybe there is another number that you have yet to see . Hard to see with the engine in the vehicle. If I recall I used a mirror to see it after cleaning all the dirt and old oil off . Good luck with it.
Thanks, I'll try your advice. Regards

Reactions: 1st Vette
It is an unusual number and would leave me to believe it is a dealer installed replacement engine.
This was common in the 60s and 70s when an engine was replaced with a new one from the factory
and it wasn't associated with a built factory car.
That's an interesting thought. I called a local engine shop and they believe it is a cast in Canada block. Thanks for your help. Regards