Apr 16, 2024
VetteCoins
Car
GMC
Province
BC
A new 2024 Corvette came in this week at my local dealer. The Rip tide blue car looked great except for the body colored molding around the side air intake. The color on the molding is distinctly lighter than the door. Has anyone seen this flaw show up lately? I have 2024 C8 on order with Rip Tide blue. It worries me that the dealer doesn’t seem to be concerned. Anyone else run across this problem?
IMG_1431.JPG

My Carbon Flash Metallic looks great and perfectly matches all the other trim parts on the car.

I would wait and see how the paint is on yours when it arrives, but if I had variations in Rapid Blue like that I would be raising concerns until they were heard, especially on a $100K+ vehicle.

Was it only the one upper wing that did not match on the car you saw at the dealership? How did the passenger side look?

My Carbon Flash Metallic looks great and perfectly matches all the other trim parts on the car.

I would wait and see how the paint is on yours when it arrives, but if I had variations in Rapid Blue like that I would be raising concerns until they were heard, especially on a $100K+ vehicle.

Was it only the one upper wing that did not match on the car you saw at the dealership? How did the passenger side look?
Both sides. The salesman said this was to be expected, because the moldings are made from a different material than the car body (!?)

Both sides. The salesman said this was to be expected, because the moldings are made from a different material than the car body (!?)
Interesting, I have not paid too much attention when I have seen the more transparent paints colours at least when I saw C8's at the dealership.
Maybe it is the way the camera captures it but I will keep my eye out for this to see if it widespread. I think most that I have seen had Carbon Flash boomerangs versus body colour.

I have a 2024 riptide blue and have the same thing also the plastic panel for the rear camera is slightly different depending on how the light hits it. My dealer had another car with riptide blue being delivered and it was the same as mine. The dealer response was they are all like that and didn’t want to do anything about it. It only seems to be with this color as other colors I don’t see any variations.

I have a 2024 riptide blue and have the same thing also the plastic panel for the rear camera is slightly different depending on how the light hits it. My dealer had another car with riptide blue being delivered and it was the same as mine. The dealer response was they are all like that and didn’t want to do anything about it. It only seems to be with this color as other colors I don’t see any variations.
Do you have the body-colored moldings on the side air intakes - are they like the picture I posted?

Could be different materials due to plastic handles versus metal body. Also that the handles are not painted together or at the same time the car is. I imagine alot of smaller parts like wings, handles, trim pieces are painted off site from the vehicles and in large batches.
Yes, I would agree GM is probably painting the color keyed moldings, door handles etc at another site. From what I have seen on TV shows like Graveyard Carz and Bitchin Rides, all parts of the car need to be painted at the same time and from the same batch of paint in order to get the correct color matching when using metallic paint. Either way GM has been doings this for how many years? With all the technology they have, there is no excuse – this a $100,000.00 car

Yes, I would agree GM is probably painting the color keyed moldings, door handles etc at another site. From what I have seen on TV shows like Graveyard Carz and Bitchin Rides, all parts of the car need to be painted at the same time and from the same batch of paint in order to get the correct color matching when using metallic paint. Either way GM has been doings this for how many years? With all the technology they have, there is no excuse – this a $100,000.00 car
"$100,000 car" no longer means what it used to

Reactions: scraze66
BG paints every part in their "world class" paint facility. Still, I agree, no excuse.

Could be different materials due to plastic handles versus metal body. Also that the handles are not painted together or at the same time the car is. I imagine alot of smaller parts like wings, handles, trim pieces are painted off site from the vehicles and in large batches.
What kind of metal is the C8 body made from? I ask since your post got a few likes. …. ;)