Feb 5, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2022 Corvette Z51
Province
ON
This was posted a couple of days ago by GM Authority and certainly spoilt the owners Christmas holiday:

A brand new 2023 Z06 had an engine failure after only 52 miles. I have never been able to find a solid reason for GM pulling back on the production schedule for the new Z06 model and starting to wonder if they know there is an engine problem of some sort and this is causing the delays in ramping up production. Pretty sure the delays are not outside parts supplier problems, but maybe its a GM engine building problem causing the delays. Either way, hope they figure out what caused this quickly and can build cars where we do not have to worry about engine failures.

Happy New Year to all.

So a bunch of years ago I am heading out from Tripoli to Paris in a practically brand new Bombardier CL-604 Challenger. Some where mid flight the cockpit lights up with left engine failure warnings. We secure the problem and land safely.

Point is s&%* happens. I would only read into a failure once a trend develops. A single failure is not a trend.

Geez! Is there no one that doesn't want to report this? lol

1672600559240.png

So a bunch of years ago I am heading out from Tripoli to Paris in a practically brand new Bombardier CL-604 Challenger. Some where mid flight the cockpit lights up with left engine failure warnings. We secure the problem and land safely.

Point is s&%* happens. I would only read into a failure once a trend develops. A single failure is not a trend.
lol... I was flying into remote northern Manitoba on a fishing trip in an old dehavilland beaver a few years back when it started to cough... Pilot did a few things I had no idea about and landed us on the lake safely. I mentioned it to him and he was surprised I noticed but when you are in the air and an engine misses a few times, it isn't brain surgery to raise some eyebrows. He passed it off as icing up in the carb. All seemed fine and he dropped us off and took off again and I'm still here to tell the story.

lol... I was flying into remote northern Manitoba on a fishing trip in an old dehavilland beaver a few years back when it started to cough... Pilot did a few things I had no idea about and landed us on the lake safely. I mentioned it to him and he was surprised I noticed but when you are in the air and an engine misses a few times, it isn't brain surgery to raise some eyebrows. He passed it off as icing up in the carb. All seemed fine and he dropped us off and took off again and I'm still here to tell the story.
Those old 985’s would fart and stutter all day long. An experienced Beaver pilot will recognize the “unusual’ cough and will start looking for a place to land…quickly.

But nobody ever posted about it on social media.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
The manual says break-in is 1500 mi / 2400 km - putting the hammer down before that is asking for trouble - at worst, an early engine failure, or at best, shortened engine life and reduced performance for the life of the engine.
How many C8 Z06's have been built so far? 1000 or so? And how many are being tracked or driven hard?
2 engine failures out of 1000 isn't out of the question, and "human error" by an over-zealous driver is just as likely as a defective part or assembly error. Wonder what the "black box" on the car says just before the engine packed it in...
Having said that, GM is covering them under warranty, but it's too bad they aren't getting out in front of this and releasing what caused the engine failures, and if necessary, rewrite the break in section in bold capitals, and add "we're not kidding". Remember there were problems with transmission failures - solved with 2 extra litres of transmission fluid? Or did everyone forget about that already?

Reactions: Dik
The manual says break-in is 1500 mi / 2400 km - putting the hammer down before that is asking for trouble - at worst, an early engine failure, or at best, shortened engine life and reduced performance for the life of the engine.
How many C8 Z06's have been built so far? 1000 or so? And how many are being tracked or driven hard?
2 engine failures out of 1000 isn't out of the question, and "human error" by an over-zealous driver is just as likely as a defective part or assembly error. Wonder what the "black box" on the car says just before the engine packed it in...
Having said that, GM is covering them under warranty, but it's too bad they aren't getting out in front of this and releasing what caused the engine failures, and if necessary, rewrite the break in section in bold capitals, and add "we're not kidding". Remember there were problems with transmission failures - solved with 2 extra litres of transmission fluid? Or did everyone forget about that already?
1. putting the hammer down during the break in will not cause engine failure, shorten the engine life or reduce performance
2. they have built 3837 z06s so far, not 1000
3. transmission failures had nothing to do with 2 extra quart of transmission oil, and adding it is not a solution for transmission failure

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.