Power User
Oct 8, 2016
West Vancouver, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC
Spoke to a friend to-day that bought a 2021 C8 HTC from the Kelowna dealership at MSRP - now charge $10K over. They will be selling the Z06 for MSRP + $50K - quite a few customers on the list. Crazy. No way I'd pay $50K over. Probably better to wait and buy from USA??

• Agree
Reactions: tyho
What makes you think the US will be any better? Top dealerships like Macmulkin already have 900 people on their Z06 waitlists and are only anticipating getting 200 per year. Some dealers will still sell at MSRP but you'll be waiting 4+ model years, if you don't want to wait that long I'd fully expect seeing 40-50k mark ups on them everywhere.

Spoke to a friend to-day that bought a 2021 C8 HTC from the Kelowna dealership at MSRP - now charge $10K over. They will be selling the Z06 for MSRP + $50K - quite a few customers on the list. Crazy. No way I'd pay $50K over. Probably better to wait and buy from USA??
For sure!!!

Thankfully; 2 of the 3 dealers I surveyed in my City offer the Z06 at MSRP. The one that didn't required a commitment to pay $50K over MSRP to get on their list and they had 2 people on that list back then. The other 2 dealers had 38 and 15 people on their list so unless you were in their top 5 or so, it's likely you'd be waiting 2 or 3 years IMO. Rather than bring one from the States (paying the exchange rate difference and border fees/hassles) where they'll see similar dealer mark-ups in places...and the usual "flippers" getting way over MSRP, I'd suggest buying a Stingray, enjoying the drive, then picking up a Z06 if you have your heart set on one, in the next 2 years assuming you're already on a list in a decent spot. Always keep in mind that lists change as people drop out when they get their car elsewhere or opt for another C8 version or different vehicle altogether. I'm on two Z06 lists and expect to drop off one of them next year (hopefully) when I get an allocation since I'm #5 on one list. The moral of the story: GET ON A LIST(S) ASAP...

Thankfully; 2 of the 3 dealers I surveyed in my City offer the Z06 at MSRP. The one that didn't required a commitment to pay $50K over MSRP to get on their list and they had 2 people on that list back then. The other 2 dealers had 38 and 15 people on their list so unless you were in their top 5 or so, it's likely you'd be waiting 2 or 3 years IMO. Rather than bring one from the States (paying the exchange rate difference and border fees/hassles) where they'll see similar dealer mark-ups in places...and the usual "flippers" getting way over MSRP, I'd suggest buying a Stingray, enjoying the drive, then picking up a Z06 if you have your heart set on one, in the next 2 years assuming you're already on a list in a decent spot. Always keep in mind that lists change as people drop out when they get their car elsewhere or opt for another C8 version or different vehicle altogether. I'm on two Z06 lists and expect to drop off one of them next year (hopefully) when I get an allocation since I'm #5 on one list. The moral of the story: GET ON A LIST(S) ASAP...
Not a chance here I do not think? I will check. Reason I am ordering a loaded C8Z51 HTC.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day

Which dealer is 50 k over in Calgary?

I'm in Edmonton and the dealer wanting $50K over for the Z06 is Don Wheaton (Whyte Avenue). The only dealer I'm familiar with in Calgary is, as you know, Capital. They're asking MSRP.
Dave Wheaton has several dealerships here and they are selling over MSRP. Family business, I guess? Kelowna wants $50K over for Z06 as well. I am buying a loaded 2022 C8 HTC 3LT from DW in Victoria - sick of waiting, Getting good trade-in for my C7 stingray - 5 yr old - $60K - so, save quite abit on taxes which are hefty here in BC.

From a practical perspective the Z06 is obviously not really a real car. The wait list is so long that only a small fraction of those that want one will be able to buy it. Piss off GM, my next daily driver will be from another vendor just because you are making the Z06 basically impossible to buy. They love to create a false shortage of the special corvettes, so annoying.

Okay it's "real" but it's a pipe dream. No different than the GT-40. Jay Leno can own one but not me. Now the GT-40 is out of my price range but the Z06 is not, but I still can't get one. The C9 will be out before I could ever buy one and then it starts all over again. The wait lists are massive in the US and here so there is no chance that all those orders will be filled. Talk about stupid on GM's part. Why not ramp up production and rake in the cash. Maybe they are selling it at a loss so they don't care, who knows. Obviously they have a sound business reason for creating a shortage but I can also buy my next regular car from someone else.

Okay it's "real" but it's a pipe dream. No different than the GT-40. Jay Leno can own one but not me. Now the GT-40 is out of my price range but the Z06 is not, but I still can't get one. The C9 will be out before I could ever buy one and then it starts all over again. The wait lists are massive in the US and here so there is no chance that all those orders will be filled. Talk about stupid on GM's part. Why not ramp up production and rake in the cash. Maybe they are selling it at a loss so they don't care, who knows. Obviously they have a sound business reason for creating a shortage but I can also buy my next regular car from someone else.
Only one plant that produces the corvette. Two shifts - not sure? Selling in many countries as well. They making a lot of money - especially when you load up on options. You can get a C8 now but you will have to pay a premium like I did. I know it is madding to be sure. In Florida selling for $100K over MSRP - crazy eh? Have a great weekend.

I am not paying over MSRP just out of principal. I refuse to do that. If that means I don't get a corvette I am fine with that, they can choke on it. Like I said though, they will also not get my money on my next regular car. Not a chance. I will not play their stupid little games. Yes no corvette for me, fine.

GM is not purposely trying to create a C8 shortage, nor is it lacking intelligence as suggested in your post. Read up on the many threads on this and other Corvette Forums (or numerous news articles) and you'll see that:

1. the demand for the C8 is unprecedented, with the new C8 Corvette outselling all other sport cars by a wide margin due to its features, performance and "excellent affordability" compared to anything else out there that comes close to it.

2. as mentioned by JCWP above, the only plant that produces Corvettes is in Bowling Green, Kentucky. When running at full capacity, they produce around 185/day and that's using 2 shifts. Because of COVID, even with 2 shifts going full-steam ahead, they have to clean the assembly line between the shifts so normally, they might be able to produce more than that 185/day average. The 185/day for the 2022's can be further reduced by making right-hand drive Corvettes for other countries or, more recently, some Z06 "mules/sample cars" for display/testing.

3. C8 production was hamstrung at the beginning due to a 2019 GM strike that lasted several months, then much more by the unexpected arrival of COVID around March 2020 which shut down Bowling Green entirely for many months...only to have it reopen with one shift and gradually work its way up to the usual 2 shifts. So the 2020 C8 production was just over 20,000 C8's or about half of what they hoped to produce. Then 2021 arrived and COVID continued to slow down production, with Bowling Green again shut down on/off during the production of the 2021 model year. GM only managed to produce some 26,000 C8's for the 2021 model year, which was again far less than it hoped. Obviously reduced sales result in reduced profit, so this wasn't their desired result and was out of their control. Many of the plant shut-downs were because of GM's inability to get parts for the C8, since their part suppliers were unable to manufacture the parts due to COVID problems: employees getting sick, their factories shutting down or they also couldn't get components or materials to make their "piece of the supply chain puzzle" that added up to everything needed to make a C8. In 2021 for the first time, the computer chip shortage happened, again due to COVID and again, nothing GM could control. We're now into the 2022 model year of C8 production. The parts shortages have continued, so that (unfortunately) Bowling Green is now down to one shift only, so it's at half-speed when it comes to C8 production.

4. you may say that GM should open a new Corvette plant. That's easier said than done since it requires years of planning and millions of dollars and even then, it would take awhile to get up and running. Plus it would sit idle these days when even the one plant in operation doesn't have enough parts to operate 2 shifts.

5. what will happen with the Z06 isn't known. But in the past, production of the Z06 variant was around 25% (?) of the Stingrays, so GM has produced a more limited amount of them even though they sell for more. If they were to make (for example) nothing but Z06's, then those wanting a Stingray would complain about having to spend more for the Z06 when the Stingray may be all they want/need. So again, I don't see GM purposely trying to create a Z06 shortage when it's common sense business-wise, to maximize their profit.

6. the great thing is that you can "vote with your money" and choose whether you want to buy a GM product or something manufactured by others. No one likes paying over MSRP and many of us don't, plus we use these Forums to ID dealers who charge MSRP as a maximum (like the dealers who are sponsors on these Forums), versus those who charge more. I think you'll find that COVID has had the same negative effect on other vehicle manufacturers and they're also finding it hard to meet demand. We can only hope that COVID will disappear and life get back to "normal" for everyone, including vehicle manufacturers and most other manufacturers.

My best advice Steve Pringle is to spend some time getting informed. There's a wealth of info about Corvettes in these Forums (CCF) so this is an excellent place to start and you'll find this Corvette community to be welcoming with people willing to spend time to help others out, especially those who constructively contribute to its content.

And no I'm not a GM employee. I've purchased only 3 new GM products in about 35 years: a 1985 Z28, followed by a Suburban "family-mobile" over 15 years ago, then more recently my 2020 C8. I couldn't resist the C8 given its new mid-engine platform and GM has made me a believer from that ownership. Best of luck with whatever automobile purchase choices you make.

GM is not purposely trying to create a C8 shortage, nor is it lacking intelligence as suggested in your post. Read up on the many threads on this and other Corvette Forums (or numerous news articles) and you'll see that:

1. the demand for the C8 is unprecedented, with the new C8 Corvette outselling all other sport cars by a wide margin due to its features, performance and "excellent affordability" compared to anything else out there that comes close to it.

2. as mentioned by JCWP above, the only plant that produces Corvettes is in Bowling Green, Kentucky. When running at full capacity, they produce around 185/day and that's using 2 shifts. Because of COVID, even with 2 shifts going full-steam ahead, they have to clean the assembly line between the shifts so normally, they might be able to produce more than that 185/day average. The 185/day for the 2022's can be further reduced by making right-hand drive Corvettes for other countries or, more recently, some Z06 "mules/sample cars" for display/testing.

3. C8 production was hamstrung at the beginning due to a 2019 GM strike that lasted several months, then much more by the unexpected arrival of COVID around March 2020 which shut down Bowling Green entirely for many months...only to have it reopen with one shift and gradually work its way up to the usual 2 shifts. So the 2020 C8 production was just over 20,000 C8's or about half of what they hoped to produce. Then 2021 arrived and COVID continued to slow down production, with Bowling Green again shut down on/off during the production of the 2021 model year. GM only managed to produce some 26,000 C8's for the 2021 model year, which was again far less than it hoped. Obviously reduced sales result in reduced profit, so this wasn't their desired result and was out of their control. Many of the plant shut-downs were because of GM's inability to get parts for the C8, since their part suppliers were unable to manufacture the parts due to COVID problems: employees getting sick, their factories shutting down or they also couldn't get components or materials to make their "piece of the supply chain puzzle" that added up to everything needed to make a C8. In 2021 for the first time, the computer chip shortage happened, again due to COVID and again, nothing GM could control. We're now into the 2022 model year of C8 production. The parts shortages have continued, so that (unfortunately) Bowling Green is now down to one shift only, so it's at half-speed when it comes to C8 production.

4. you may say that GM should open a new Corvette plant. That's easier said than done since it requires years of planning and millions of dollars and even then, it would take awhile to get up and running. Plus it would sit idle these days when even the one plant in operation doesn't have enough parts to operate 2 shifts.

5. what will happen with the Z06 isn't known. But in the past, production of the Z06 variant was around 25% (?) of the Stingrays, so GM has produced a more limited amount of them even though they sell for more. If they were to make (for example) nothing but Z06's, then those wanting a Stingray would complain about having to spend more for the Z06 when the Stingray may be all they want/need. So again, I don't see GM purposely trying to create a Z06 shortage when it's common sense business-wise, to maximize their profit.

6. the great thing is that you can "vote with your money" and choose whether you want to buy a GM product or something manufactured by others. No one likes paying over MSRP and many of us don't, plus we use these Forums to ID dealers who charge MSRP as a maximum (like the dealers who are sponsors on these Forums), versus those who charge more. I think you'll find that COVID has had the same negative effect on other vehicle manufacturers and they're also finding it hard to meet demand. We can only hope that COVID will disappear and life get back to "normal" for everyone, including vehicle manufacturers and most other manufacturers.

My best advice Steve Pringle is to spend some time getting informed. There's a wealth of info about Corvettes in these Forums (CCF) so this is an excellent place to start and you'll find this Corvette community to be welcoming with people willing to spend time to help others out, especially those who constructively contribute to its content.

And no I'm not a GM employee. I've purchased only 3 new GM products in about 35 years: a 1985 Z28, followed by a Suburban "family-mobile" over 15 years ago, then more recently my 2020 C8. I couldn't resist the C8 given its new mid-engine platform and GM has made me a believer from that ownership. Best of luck with whatever automobile purchase choices you make.
Well said. More patience than me to explain is as much detail - great!!!

I know a guy who has a deposit at 14 different dealerships for the Z06. His plan is to order base models and immediately flip them for a 6 figure profit overseas. A lot of people I know are expecting a $50,000 paycheque from taking delivery.

Other manufactures like Mercedes-Benz took initiatives to stop people from flipping their G-wagons. Crickets at GM. Long term customers like me are being alienated so GM can cater to flippers and exporters.

I’ve given up ordering a C8 and will buy on the secondary market. This will probably be my last GM product.

Back to the original thread post: $10K over MSRP is now a bargain. All I see is $20-$30 thousand over MSRP. I had the money and no patience so paid $25K over MSRP to avoid the lineup. But all is relative as we get weekly offers over $5M for a house we own where the house appraised value is $35K and the property $3M

This lack of supply is across the board

I ended up with my 2019 C7 manual as I got tired of silly games looking to buy a new 911. Wait lists, ADMs, no chance of ever getting a gt3 etc etc

It's the same with vettes now. I have less interest in the C8s because I would still prefer a manual but the Z06 is an impressive car. So it will continue to be people paying way over msrp because they can and don't want to wait (plenty of evidence of that here and elsewhere) or people waiting +4 yrs till their number comes up

Otherwise I hear McLaren is happy to sell you whatever you want 😉

Reactions: vinny's vette
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.