Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
VetteCoins
Dropped in on my dealer in Red Deer to chat today and took this picture of the showroom floor. All C8's. Five on the floor for sale and one blue demo out back. Three more in transit that will go on the floor.

PXL_20210805_182004784.jpg

Reactions: Dale124
Markup? I'm sure its hefty. Lol
Yeah. I didn't ask but over MSRP for sure. guessing likely 20k+ over. Unfortunately, for buyers wanting them, I don't see much change coming for at least another year or two. By that time the Z06 will be out.... then the Zora and it will just keep repeating itself...

Reactions: pozi240
Word was that this dealership refused to take ANY orders from customers and instead, chose to bring in their allotments for the dealership only, to sell at ++ profit. That explains why so many C8's for sale on their showroom floor with more to come. Too bad for their customer base and hopefully this will come back to haunt them.

My friend went there to see a Red Mist earlier this year and before he finalized his order and a salesman at this Red Deer dealership told him they weren't taking customer orders, so that's the source of my info. That Red Mist was sold long ago for way over MSRP. My friend ordered his C8 from Calgary and is now driving his Red Mist HTC.

Word was that this dealership refused to take ANY orders from customers and instead, chose to bring in their allotments for the dealership only, to sell at ++ profit. That explains why so many C8's for sale on their showroom floor with more to come. Too bad for their customer base and hopefully this will come back to haunt them.
The fact is they can't do that! GM would have their preverbal nuts for lying and creating sold orders with fictitious names. Workbench won't allow any SRO orders! ONLY SRE orders which require a name.
Edit: I always confuse the 2 codes. SRE is retail sold orders and SRO is stock orders (TRE?).

Last edited:
From John on the midengine forum
Question:
How can GM tell if the order is for someone or is for stock? Why can't a dealer just make the order for John Doe, then when it comes in they are like "oh, financing fell through, now it is stock..." etc...

Answer:
Sure this happens at times but GM has algorithms that tell them that “X” percent at this dealer are fall throughs compared to other dealers this size group and compared to nationally. Dealers have been caught playing that game. BTW it is not GM but the OEM’s who are aware of these games are take consequent action.

That is one of the reason why when an order goes in and is accepted it has the customer name and his address, which is then later compared to actual sold name/address on subsequent documents

From John on the midengine forum
Question:
How can GM tell if the order is for someone or is for stock? Why can't a dealer just make the order for John Doe, then when it comes in they are like "oh, financing fell through, now it is stock..." etc...

Answer:
Sure this happens at times but GM has algorithms that tell them that “X” percent at this dealer are fall throughs compared to other dealers this size group and compared to nationally. Dealers have been caught playing that game. BTW it is not GM but the OEM’s who are aware of these games are take consequent action.

That is one of the reason why when an order goes in and is accepted it has the customer name and his address, which is then later compared to actual sold name/address on subsequent documents

I've NEVER seen or heard of a dealership with so many new C8's actually for sale, on their showroom floor. What are the odds, giving the popularity of these C8's, that a dealer would have SO MANY orders sold to customers...who all cancel? Or perhaps the way to work around the system...is to tap "reliable" customers on the shoulder, get them to "order" a C8...knowing that order will be cancelled later OR sold on the dealership floor "on behalf of/on consignment for" the customer who "bought" the car. You know the old saying: "if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck". Everything looks to confirm what the dealership salesperson told my friend this past Spring...

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I've NEVER seen or heard of a dealership with so many new C8's actually for sale, on their showroom floor. What are the odds, giving the popularity of these C8's, that a dealer would have SO MANY orders sold to customers...who all cancel? Or perhaps the way to work around the system...is to tap "reliable" customers on the shoulder, get them to "order" a C8...knowing that order will be cancelled later OR sold on the dealership floor "on behalf of/on consignment for" the customer who "bought" the car. You know the old saying: "if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck". Everything looks to confirm what the dealership salesperson told my friend this past Spring...
They're actually shooting themselves in the foot with the mark ups. GM issued a statement that dealers who have been doing markups and had C8s they received sit on the lot with markups with slow turnaround time will be bumped down in future allocations. The faster the C8 is moved to the customers the more priority the dealership would get. Fantastic tactic by GM.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.