Did calling your Alberta Insurance Provider help minimize 2020 increases?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
Hello. I am not in the Insurance Industry. I am in the process of an Annual Renewal of one of my Auto Policies for January 2020 and just spent an hour with my Provider to go through all my options
as news is spreading that some Alberta Auto Insurance Policy Holders can be in for significant increases in the new year (2020). This because the Alberta Government will be no longer
holding Annual Insurance Renewals to maximum 5% increases per year. So be aware and consider calling your provider before the New Year to discuss all your options. I just did and
am happy that I did (no specifics will be disclosed). Regardless if this finds you absolutely fine, this is just a warning in the event that you might not be.

One significant item is that some/most Providers require a road-worthy inspection report for cars older than 10-12 years.
I recently found that if you join the Shaganappi Chevrolet Cruisers in Calgary, you will be able to obtain your report with a 20% discount in Shag's fee.
Combining the report with other service can potentially save on a report fee as well. Sadly, the report is required
only within a specified time frame prior to the renewal date and reports are only valid for about 14 days. What a pain !
I witnessed a recent inspection and noticed a specific item on it ... read on.

Most significant now is performance modifications. Insurance Companies will look for an "out" in the claim process and modifications is something that contravenes coverage
in the small print of most policies. So there is no "game playing" here. You will only run into an issue though, in a claims process. So if saying, oh well it won't hurt if they don't know,
consider an at-fault injury claim that results in not being covered. This will be common for owners of the modified what-nots in high school parking lots (so I was told).
With our Corvettes (and perhaps daily-drivers as well), we have to disclose any increase in performance that occurs from a replacement part that is not OEM - this matters with some Insurance Providers (not all).
Insurance adjusters and road-worthiness reports may soon, if not already have a box to check in regard to performance modifications. (See message number 7 in this thread)

Hence the reason for this thread as a CCF public service.

As we all have a month-and-a-half before new year ... I just thought it best to send this out to our Alberta Crowd for their Personal Daily Drivers and their Corvettes.
Hoping to to hear that most are not experiencing significant increases ... my call today kept my increase to 5% for the next year on my Daily Drivers :thumbs:

I've added a poll to this thread (just for the hell of it) for Alberta readers to judge how others might have found this helpful by being on top of this anticipated 2020 increase that News has been spewing out.
This is of no use to those insured outside of Alberta, so please do not partake in the poll if you are. Thank you

For anyone without worries in regard to increased personal expenses or those with experiences outside of Alberta,
Thank you for reading and please just overlook this thread ... it is appreciated that this does not derail.

Last edited:
The many news items I am reading are mentioning Aviva with across-the-board increases. Some at 20% .... ouch. I am not with Aviva and found that my increase can keep to about 5% ...
I did check with my insurance broker and tried 6 other companies. Even with the increase Aviva still came in the cheapest with a no claims, multi vehicle and combined house policy.

Not much different here in Ontario. Whenever I place full coverage back on the car in the spring one question is "have there been any modifications?". Some insurers charge an extra premium, others will not insure the vehicle. There are specialty insurers out there that will insure vehicle, young and old, modified to some degree. Expect to pay handsomely for the coverage though.
It is unfortunate that some insurers look only at the car and driver. Most vette folks take very good care of their vehicles and drive them only part of the year, usually in good weather. Those that track their cars should get additional insurance specifically for that purpose ... if they can find it.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Makes one wonder if you buy an EV and add in an extra AA battery if that will be considered a performance boost???? LOL
Mine is coming due beginning next year. Will let you know what happens out here.
How nice of the AB government to remove the gouging restrictions on car drivers. Who was it saying how much his car insurance went up for one, floods, and then two, the Ft, McMurry fire. Nothing to do with his car or driving record.

Hello. I am not in the Insurance Industry. I am in the process of an Annual Renewal of one of my Auto Policies for January 2020 and just spent an hour with my Provider to go through all my options
as news is spreading that some Alberta Auto Insurance Policy Holders can be in for significant increases in the new year (2020). This because the Alberta Government will be no longer
holding Annual Insurance Renewals to maximum 5% increases per year. So be aware and consider calling your provider before the New Year to discuss all your options. I just did and
am happy that I did (no specifics will be disclosed). Regardless if this finds you absolutely fine, this is just a warning in the event that you might not be.

One significant item is that some/most Providers require a road-worthy inspection report for cars older than 10-12 years.
I recently found that if you join the Shaganappi Chevrolet Cruisers in Calgary, you will be able to obtain your report with a 20% discount in Shag's fee.
Combining the report with other service can potentially save on a report fee as well. Sadly, the report is required
only within a specified time frame prior to the renewal date and reports are only valid for about 14 days. What a pain !
I witnessed a recent inspection and noticed a specific item on it ... read on.

Most significant now is performance modifications. Insurance Companies will look for an "out" in the claim process and modifications is something that contravenes coverage
in the small print of most policies. So there is no "game playing" here. You will only run into an issue though, in a claims process. So if saying, oh well it won't hurt if they don't know,
consider an at-fault injury claim that results in not being covered. This will be common for owners of the modified what-nots in high school parking lots (so I was told).
With our Corvettes (and perhaps daily-drivers as well), we have to disclose any increase in performance that occurs from a replacement part that is not OEM - this matters with some Insurance Providers (not all).
Insurance adjusters and road-worthiness reports may soon, if not already have a box to check in regard to performance modifications. (See message number 7 in this thread)

Hence the reason for this thread as a CCF public service.

As we all have a month-and-a-half before new year ... I just thought it best to send this out to our Alberta Crowd for their Personal Daily Drivers and their Corvettes.
Hoping to to hear that most are not experiencing significant increases ... my call today kept my increase to 5% for the next year on my Daily Drivers :thumbs:

I've added a poll to this thread (just for the hell of it) for Alberta readers to judge how others might have found this helpful by being on top of this anticipated 2020 increase that News has been spewing out.
This is of no use to those insured outside of Alberta, so please do not partake in the poll if you are. Thank you

For anyone without worries in regard to increased personal expenses or those with experiences outside of Alberta,
Thank you for reading and please just overlook this thread ... it is appreciated that this does not derail.
Politics!!! The way I look at it insurance is a LEGAL SCAM. So make sure you have a lawyer if you’re faced with a settlement. 😳

A bit late with the update for 2020 insurance. However it was an unusual year as I got money back on the car insurance for driving less because of Covid

January insurance premium for two cars with the Vette in storage - $976.01
May - Vette out of storage $279.04
OCT - Vette in to storage insurance credit - $ 89.04
DEC - Return from insurance company for less mileage driven - $ 76.30
To plate the Vette in May was $305.64
No credit on the vehicle registration as my plates are due at the end on OCT

In QC some of the insurance is covered in the plate fees as this is a NO FAULT province.

So a bonus credit of $76.30 because of Covid last year
The credits from the insurance were applied to my credit card so it was a cash back, not a credit for future payments

So far this year, 2021. the insurance company has credited me $46 cash back for Covid. Just came in last week.

A bit late with the update for 2020 insurance. However it was an unusual year as I got money back on the car insurance for driving less because of Covid

January insurance premium for two cars with the Vette in storage - $976.01
May - Vette out of storage $279.04
OCT - Vette in to storage insurance credit - $ 89.04
DEC - Return from insurance company for less mileage driven - $ 76.30
To plate the Vette in May was $305.64
No credit on the vehicle registration as my plates are due at the end on OCT

In QC some of the insurance is covered in the plate fees as this is a NO FAULT province.

So a bonus credit of $76.30 because of Covid last year
The credits from the insurance were applied to my credit card so it was a cash back, not a credit for future payments

So far this year, 2021. the insurance company has credited me $46 cash back for Covid. Just came in last week.
I insure 6 vehicles and my farm with Wawanesa. Farm policy went up $70.00. Vehicle policy went down $700.00. Yeeehah....

😂
70D9CCDC-22CD-4B6E-A53B-7E71A5E932F4.gif

... when I put insurance on back on my Corvette they didn’t ask about modifications.
That’s part point for this post back in the pre-covid 2020 era. They don’t have to ask about modifications ... it just might be buried in the policy verbiage ... then rear it’s no-coverage ugliness with an adjuster observation.
I had a tiny no fault of mine hit and run repair on my ‘19 Sierra and my insurance adjuster took photos of my engine too ... like why? He would not explain ... then it perhaps clicked in.
I am pretty sure not everyone will realize this modification clause and I speculate its resulting from all these modified puny imports out there. Who really knows but a supercharger upgrade on my 6.2l sierra would definitely fall into the category 😇

.... just words of observation ...
and spending my supercharger money on something else 🙂🍻

Users who are viewing this thread