Votes: 8 100.0%
  • C - If two Day Cruise - Jasper

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • C - If Two Day Cruise - Banff

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
R

RockyPM

So it's time to arrange the 2016 cruise to the west. We did not have one west last year so really want to make this one a go as many people have said they will attend. I'm offering up 2 dates in June/July for voting and the one with the most positive responses is what we will plan for.
The Cruise will roughly go as follows;

1. Assemble in Red Deer @ a location to be named
  2. Travel to Rocky Mountain House at Timmies and have more people join us.
  3. Travel west and a few stops planned for photos, visiting, etc.
  4. Arrive @ Saskatchewan Crossing for late lunch @ the Parkway Pub.
    dining_parkway3-300x225.jpg
  5. Travel back or head north to Jasper or south towards Lake Louise.
If we travel back it a one day affair. If we go north or south it will be a two day affair with a night over in either Jasper/Edson or Banff, Canmore.

Please select 1 answer from each of the above Categories. the poll will be open for 7 days and based on the response we will make a firm date and begin the organizing of a more detailed schedule. Ie: times, locations and hotels if required.

jeff, you coming will make people want to come! Always a remark and you never know we might need you to fend off the ladies on those tour buses! For people who weren't on the first cruise Jeff was the king for a tour bus of ladies from Isreal!!

Could you update your selection? One choice from "each" category. A, B and C.

Looking forward to this run and hope to have a good group!

Reactions: Z06Vetter
Jeff come. bring the wife.. she likes me! ;)

I have a Corvette buddy coming from Kelowna to Edm June 18th/19th for 24 hour of Le Mans weekend...... so busy then and the 19th is Fathers Day and hanging with my Uncle.

Voted July 9th/10th, 2 day and Jasper.

OH, i will be in Sask crossing Thursday by noon. heading to BC for 5-6 day trip.

So need a break....... so worn out.

Glad to see you post something.

Oh, do i have to bring a Corvette? ;)

Brian

BCMI real Canadian inn on July 9th AMA rate is 149 plus taxes

I did not originally pick a location as I did not want to be the deciding vote as either works for us but if pressed jasper way to spend the night in Hinton
I may book it just in case as it is summer and we will need to decide where the place to rest the smiles from the day will be

Jeff

Banff is nicer, but I go there all the time. I chose Jasper to be different, and maybe stop at the Athabasca glacier along the way. I would totally do Banff just the same. The date is more important than the location to me.

My vote went in for 2 day/Jasper/June but it looks like July is the popular choice. Unfortunately we have a family camp out that weekend that's been planned for months. :(. As I'm a minority for the date choice, I will wish everyone a great trip and I will be there in spirit. If by chance there's anyone out there who would like to also do the June 18 weekend, Brenda and I would be up for that in any format.... One day / two day / anywhere run. :)

Reactions: Tinman
OK it's looking like a July cruise to jasper! Will give this a few more days if I can figure out how to keep the voting active would like to see a few more cars but whomever goes it will be a gòod time will scope out times and places and post an itinerary tomorrow eening

Where r we staying sat night anY thoughts
Jeffy

I just searched expedia.ca and 19 hotels in Jasper are all sold out in Jasper on July 9th.

Sask Crossing Resort has rooms for about $175 a night.

Lake Louise is sold out too

I kinda want to build/run a resort in Jasper..... there is not enough accommodations there... would be nice to get out of the big city.

Hinton has rooms but means you have to travel lots Saturday --- would rather stay at Sask crossing and spend more time in the mountains.

If we picked Sask Crossing to stay we could spend the day around that area, maybe visit lake Louise and Morraine Lake.... I finally made it to Morraine lake last summer, took 49 years to see it.

Paul will fill us in soon.... one month away.

B

So based on accomodations and Brians intel Jasper is not a point to stay. Busy season. We can either stay in Hinton (15 Hotels/Motels) or Saskatchewan Crossing (1 hotel). Here's the travel times to the key points we are travelling:
Red Deer to Hinton - 4 hrs, 391 km
Hinton to Saskatchewan Crossing - 3 hrs, 260 km
Saskatchewan Crossing to Red Deer - 2:45 hrs, 260 km

Suggest we head to Hinton first as it will give everyone more options for accomodation and food for all. Here is a route I've chosen and please comment to anything we can add. Note this is suggested so suggestions are allowed I've opened the Google map to all so you can look, modify and save I would ask that suggestions be made and then we confirm changes thanks everyone
July 9/10 Cruise

So there should be a pub or lounge with UFC playing in Hinton for Jeremaid! Several hotels to choose from and selection of food. people not from the Red Deer area can join us at several points along the way, Rocky, Cynthia (coming from Drayton Valley, and junction of Hwy 16 & Hwy 753 for those from Edmonton.

Option for edson stay also. I will figure times and include several stops. Jeremaid, what time does UFC START? This will definitely pay into where we hang our hats.

Gas stations are Rocky, edson, Hinton, jasper, Saskatchewan Crossing and Nordegg.

Plan is to tour the glacier bridge and take the bus from the Columbia ice fields center. There's no stopping at the bridge. There are several points of interest along the way and the reason for the Sunchild road is it's very scenic and has some curves. No worries guys this road is in great shape as I built it in 2009! Don't let that scare you, haha!

It's getting close everyone, looking forward to it!

Jasper is always booked when I have looked...... have to book 4-8 weeks before

Don't know if me being in Edm I would want to drive to Rocky to go back to Hinton the same day. So, would we be doing stuff in the mountains on Sat and going back to Hinton or not even getting into the mountains on July 9th?

I would rather enjoy stuff/time in the mountains Sat too

I see 753 ... see what your doing. West of Wildwood

Brian

Last edited: