Scottydog

I'm New Here
Jun 10, 2018
Chatham, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2005 Corvette Vert
I need to replace the stock HB on my 05, it is chirping and wobbling, but I'm not getting any level of comfort
from the local guys (GM stealers) Does anyone have a Corvette guy in the south western
Ontario area - Windsor to London etc. I know about Rayzer in Windsor but he is out of the country
until early April. Any info would be welcome. Thanks

Is the balancer wobbling? have your car running and shine a flashlight down on the balancer form the passenger side. you should see the wobble. I thought mine was going last year but could not see the wobble. After some research I decided to change the serpentine belt with a high quality one and my chirping disappeared. Still had the original belt on my 2005 and there was no cracking or visual deterioration on the belt that I could see but a $55 belt is must much cheaper test than the expensive final step of changing the balancer. Good luck!

I do absolutely agree with replacing the serpentine belt first. If you have never replaced it, you really should anyway. Five years is a maximum replacement recommendation.

Check your torque on the balancer and all of the other pulleys while you are in there, or make sure that the technician does.

The 'wobble' and 'squeal' often tends to come from the sound of dry rubber sticking to a pulley and causing lift or push on one side of a bearing. The wobble or squeal could also be a bearing in one of the driven accessories. If you can try to isolate the sound to one of them first, that might help you to solve another problem before it happens.

The old-fashioned way to figure this out is to take a long candle and lightly touch it evenly to all sides of the belt, and see if the noise stops (lubrication fixes almost everything at least temporarily). If it does, it is the belt (and even if the wax fixes it, replace it anyway). If it doesn't, it is a bearing somewhere (probably alternator or water pump, but those are just guesses).

Paul's suggestion is also excellent! In fact, you should do this first. Use a bright light on the passenger side at the front of the engine, and all of the pulleys should be straight while the engine is idling. If one is moving - replace that bearing. And then, replace that serpentine belt anyway.

Mine was making noise before I put it away last fall. Will put on a new belt on and hopefully that will be all. From what ive gathered on other vette forums, if your gonna replace the HB go with aftermarket and stay away from factory.

@Jeremiad's comment about candle wax on the belt reminded me you can use a spray bottle filled with water and spray on the belt to see if it reduces or stops the squeal. Same idea just different process. Yes if the HB is wobbling get-er fixed. Spring is here and we can't waste time in the shop!

I’m not sure thought I saw a small wobble in mine last fall. I’ll check it again when I get home from Mexico next week. If I read this right guys are saying replace the belt first? I have no weird noises. I read somewhere on a US site that replacing it with a AFE Balancer and a ARP bolt is the way to go. I also read that with patience it can be changed without removing the rack - not sure how true that is? Any experience out there on this HB issue (known GM problem for faulty HB’s)?

give Dave at Race Ready Garage in Cambridge a call and get some opinions and options. Manny replaced my balancer (with an after market unit) on my 07 several years ago as the GM balancer was wobbling.
Dave mentioned to me that they replace a lot of balancers with great after market units.

Reactions: Messner
Hey. I hope I'm not too late to jump in...

I developed the squeak under the hood after about 100,000 klicks. I had my HB checked at my dealership and they found the wobble just inside the acceptable limits. I decided to change it out anyway but a GM HB was months away so I went with an after-market unit. Off the shelf 160 bucks but about 8 hours labour. And I still had the squeak!!! Ended up changing the alternator to get rid of the squeak. Just so you know....

Last edited:
Hey. I hope I'm not too late to jump in...

I developed the squeak under the hood after about 100,000 klicks. I had my HB checked at my dealership and they found the wobble just inside the acceptable limits. I decided to change it out anyway but a GM HB was months away so I went with an after-market unit. Off the shelf 160 bucks but about 8 hours labour. And I still had the squeak!!! Ended up changing the alternator to get rid of the squeak. Just so you know....
I had a SLP Camaro SS and the belt squeaked. We could never get rid of it. I changed belts and alternator too. When I squirted WD40 on the belt it would go away, even with a new one! Ha! I figured one of the pulleys might be out of alignment? Anyhow sold the car, so no more squeak now!
With my 07 Corvette I was going to get an ATI HB but then saw the price of them, so will go with a good aftermarket but not a GM. Thanks for the input guys! :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread