Featured Thread

YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
We purchased our Bright Red 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP new from Northland Pontiac - Calgary
(it was originally suppose to be "her" daily driver)
I always referred to this as our "4 door Trans Am", as I always wanted a Trans Am.
(settled for a 1984 Camaro Z28 instead - buts that will be a separate thread)
We went to the August 1999 NASCAR Race in Michigan and I went crazy over the Pace Cars.
(these are in the Blue Grand Prix Photo)
Spent a lot of time before the Race discovering Street Legal Performance (SLP) with their GM Ram Air Packages on the Trans Am that was being newly introduced as a GM Authorized after-market package for the Grand Prix.
Upon returning from the Race to Calgary, I began the work of "marrying" Davenport (Calgary) with SLP to modify ours for
Western Canada's First Grand Prix Ram Air Supercharged GTX
debut on Calgary's Streets in the Spring of 2000 (May) - lots of fun & lots of head-turns
- Fully endorsed by GM with no loss of our Warranty - Sweet ! -
We absolutely loved this car - becoming a Summer Driver Only.
SLP changes included Functional Ram Air Hood - Cat-back System - Super Charger Pulley & Air Intake
These exhaust tips were bad-a$$ compared to the Stock exhaust tips
and the sound was very very very throaty
We sold this awesome vehicle in the Spring of 2015 and have missed it ever since.
This Grand Prix was purchased as a daily driver and became something very special.
There were copycat after market packages later on - but this is the SLP Original !
It is in remembrance of this car that we purchased our second Corvette this year for "her".
(photos are on the same driveway and with changes to our home and a young tree that you notice in difference to our Corvette photos that we are now posting)
(quick reference - includes this Spring's MikeysZ06 MOTM winner)
- also same License Plate as both of our New Corvettes had before Personalizing -
grandprix1999-04.jpg
1999 GTX Pace Car
grandprix1999-06.jpg
Pace Car Lap at the 1999 Race
(Dale Earnhardt started near the back - darn it!)
(oh! Pontiac won this race too - Labonte)
(Ward Burton's Pontiac on the Pole)
(Dale Earnhardt finished 5th :Angelsad2:)

GTX0001a.jpg
GTX0002b.jpg

GTX0014a.jpg

SLP GTX Media Picture
slppage4pic1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that Spence. I had no idea this could be done with a Grand Prix of this era. And all factory supported. Wow you really must have surprised a few muscle cars with it too. :thumbs:

We purchased our Bright Red 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP new from Northland Pontiac - Calgary
(it was originally suppose to be "her" daily driver)
I always referred to this as our "4 door Trans Am", as I always wanted a Trans Am.
(settled for a 1984 Camaro Z28 instead - buts that will be a separate thread)
We went to the August 1999 NASCAR Race in Michigan and I went crazy over the Pace Cars.
(these are in the Blue Grand Prix Photo)
Spent a lot of time before the Race discovering Street Legal Performance (SLP) with their GM Ram Air Packages on the Trans Am that was being newly introduced as a GM Authorized after-market package for the Grand Prix.
Upon returning from the Race to Calgary, I began the work of "marrying" Davenport (Calgary) with SLP to modify ours for
Western Canada's First Grand Prix Ram Air Supercharged GTX
debut on Calgary's Streets in the Spring of 2000 (May) - lots of fun & lots of head-turns
- Fully endorsed by GM with no loss of our Warranty - Sweet ! -
We absolutely loved this car - becoming a Summer Driver Only.
SLP changes included Functional Ram Air Hood - Cat-back System - Super Charger Pulley & Air Intake
These exhaust tips were bad-a$$ compared to the Stock exhaust tips
and the sound was very very very throaty
We sold this awesome vehicle in the Spring of 2015 and have missed it ever since.
This Grand Prix was purchased as a daily driver and became something very special.
There were copycat after market packages later on - but this is the SLP Original !
It is in remembrance of this car that we purchased our second Corvette this year for "her".
(photos are on the same driveway and with changes to our home and a young tree that you notice in difference to our Corvette photos that we are now posting)
(quick reference - includes this Spring's MikeysZ06 MOTM winner)
- also same License Plate as both of our New Corvettes had before Personalizing -
View attachment 11483
1999 GTX Pace Car
View attachment 11484
Pace Car Lap at the 1999 Race
(Dale Earnhardt started near the back - darn it!)
(oh! Pontiac won this race too - Labonte)
(Ward Burton's Pontiac on the Pole)
(Dale Earnhardt finished 5th :Angelsad2:)

View attachment 11485 View attachment 11486
View attachment 11487

SLP GTX Media Picture
View attachment 11488
We need to spend less time in your garage,and more time looking at those Race City Speedway days and such!! Such as stuff like this. I didn't quite catch on to the specs of this car when you told me last week. I need to hear that again. Sans Canadian,,,Hmm,and those trees !! Nothing on yours and Bryan's property line. Does that ever look different now.

Reactions: YFCvii
We need to spend less time in your garage,and more time looking at those Race City Speedway days and such!! Such as stuff like this. I didn't quite catch on to the specs of this car when you told me last week. I need to hear that again. Sans Canadian,,,Hmm,and those trees !! Nothing on yours and Bryan's property line. Does that ever look different now.

We loved this car as a couple and cruised Canada and the USA in it ... many great growing Family memories ... always kept clean (of course)
A pile of fun when driven solo ;)

Here's some stuff about the GTX when it was being sold in GM Dealer Show Rooms (not readily available)
SLP Buyer Profile / Market Gap:
(I think this fit me as a "family man who needs a four door sedan but wants a TransAm")
Educated Professional demanding best-in-class performance and outstanding handling
GM/Pontiac Car Enthusiast appreciative of a High Performance Vehicle offering both a two-door and four-door option
Competitive Foreign Alternatives: BMW 540i & Mercedes E430

Spec: 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX Ram Air
Introduced into Market May 4th 1998 in Troy Michigan
Purchase from GM Dealer or aftermarket through SLP/Partner
3800 engine Supercharged V6
displacement 3791 cc / 231.3 in³
power 193.9 kw / 260.0 bhp @ 5200 rpm
specific output 68.58 bhp per litre
torque 400.0 nm / 295.0 ft lbs @ 3200 rpm
driven wheels Front Engine / FWD
wheelbase 2807 mm / 110.5 in
length 4991 mm / 196.5 in
transmission 4-Speed Auto
top speed ~ 209.2 kph / 130.0 mph
0 – 60 mph ~ 6.7 seconds

Last edited:
We loved this car as a couple and cruised Canada and the USA in it ... many great growing Family memories ... always kept clean (of course)
A pile of fun when driven solo ;)

Here's some stuff about the GTX when it was being sold in GM Dealer Show Rooms (not readily available)
SLP Buyer Profile / Market Gap:
(I think this fit me as a "family man who needs a four door sedan but wants a TransAm")
Educated Professional demanding best-in-class performance and outstanding handling
GM/Pontiac Car Enthusiast appreciative of a High Performance Vehicle offering both a two-door and four-door option
Competitive Foreign Alternatives: BMW 540i & Mercedes E430

Spec: 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX Ram Air
Introduced into Market May 4th 1998 in Troy Michigan
Purchase from GM Dealer or aftermarket through SLP/Partner
3800 engine Supercharged V6
displacement 3791 cc / 231.3 in³
power 193.9 kw / 260.0 bhp @ 5200 rpm
specific output 68.58 bhp per litre
torque 400.0 nm / 295.0 ft lbs @ 3200 rpm
driven wheels Front Engine / FWD
wheelbase 2807 mm / 110.5 in
length 4991 mm / 196.5 in
transmission 4-Speed Auto
top speed ~ 209.2 kph / 130.0 mph
0 – 60 mph ~ 6.7 seconds
I was the purchaser in 2015 and still have the car here in the Calgary area I luv it. I'm down sizing do to travelling for work and may consider offers on the car. It's still under 100k and like new. I also have more performance parts for the car brand new awaiting install.

Reactions: YFCvii
I was the purchaser in 2015 and still have the car here in the Calgary area I luv it. I'm down sizing do to travelling for work and may consider offers on the car. It's still under 100k and like new. I also have more performance parts for the car brand new awaiting install.
Wonderful seeing you join the forum and with news that you have been enjoying this car that is well suited for the Pontiac Enthusiast. Wishing you success finding an owner if/when you market it for resale.
If you have this car by the time Shaganappi has its annual GM cruisers show and shine, you can consider parking it for that day there.
Cheers.

Reactions: rockitman
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.