ok I got it solved. That VIN is not a ZR1 vin but rather a sequence out of the 1988's. ZR1's have sequence starting 1G1YZ and not 1G1YY. It may well in fact be a ZR1 prototype in that it has the wide body, motor, etc. But it's only a prototype. It could actually be one of who knows how many prototypes released for shows only that year. I think I'll hold on to my money this time.

Pretty cool if it is the real deal but I couldn't live with myself if I owned a car with a "salvage" title.:D Looks like it had the crap crushed out of it. I'm not sure how much of the car is original or if the engine would have survived a front end loader, even if it was on dirt. Anyway, as stated, if you have any mechanical ability to finish the car, here is your chance to tell your loved one that you just saved $150,000!

Yes I have 100% authenticated the story. There's even pictures of the frame up restoration on the internet. I hope the owner good luck with the sale. He says he's going to buy a brand new zr1 with the money.:coolgleam:

I don't think anyone will buy it. The hype is all about the new zr1's, who cares anymore about the 80's-90's anyway? Last week there was a black 1991 ZR1 on ebay that nobody wanted not even for $10,000.

88 zr1?????

Hi guy's, forgive me if I have missed something but are we talking about an 88 ZR1??? The ZR1 first debuted in 1990 dudes. A comment was made about the VIN showing possible signs of being a prototype which is more likely the case. But crate engines have also been readily available making counterfeiting a worry. I may have even seen crates for sale within the past 3-4 years. If it is a proto or mule it will have some collectable value as it is but beware. I cant recall if the full vin was posted but it is easy to decode.

Cheers, :driving:

An old post....... I think you are confusing the original poster ( 88 ZR1 ) with the rest of the story.
If I remember correctly, the story (no longer available) was a destroyed 83 corvette found in a scrap yard some place...had been sold and is being rebuilt................. I don't know how true this story was, but hey if it's on the Internet it must be real.... :rofl:

Hi guy's, forgive me if I have missed something but are we talking about an 88 ZR1??? The ZR1 first debuted in 1990 dudes. A comment was made about the VIN showing possible signs of being a prototype which is more likely the case. But crate engines have also been readily available making counterfeiting a worry. I may have even seen crates for sale within the past 3-4 years. If it is a proto or mule it will have some collectable value as it is but beware. I cant recall if the full vin was posted but it is easy to decode.

Cheers, :driving:

I actually talked with the seller and checked the story out. This car is an 88 prototype of the zr-1. GM ordered it wrecked when they were done with it. Years later taken out of the junk lot and restored. Many of the original parts like the engine kept. Belongs in a museum.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread