1970 & 2015 Stingray
Province
AB
20140622_085702.jpg
20140622_085834.jpg
20140627_172900.jpg
20140627_172046.jpg
20140808_160817.jpg

This is a car I purchased around 15 years ago from Little Lot in Edmonton. I performed some minor repairs and a few cool mods. I used this car for several years as my daily driver, and wanted a remote start vehicle in the winter. I installed an Autopage alarm/car starter, so I had to be a bit creative on the remote start function. The Rochester Quardrajet was a nice clean original which I rebuilt myself with great results, and started reliably every time with 2 full pumps of the pedal, stayed on high idle without stalling no matter on how cold outside. I custom made a bracket to hold a 12V trunk release solenoid, which I had hooked up to the auxilary trunk release circuit on the alarm module. To start the car, I simply hit the number trunk release button on the remote twice when the vehicle was cold, which in turn set the choke and linkage on high idle. At that point I hit the start button as you would normal on a fuel injected vehicle. She would start up and go to fast idle immediately. I would let her run and warm up for 3 to 8 min depending on how cold the weather was. At that point, I would simply hit the trunk release button again, which would pump the throttle and kick down the carb to half fast or regular idle. I had the vehicle tuned up and it worked perfectly everytime. People that would be walking by and saw the car rev up and kick down by itself were always shocked. Everyone I showed the carburator remote start to we amazed at how well and reliable it worked. Many other repairs and tasteful mods were also done to the car, along with a full factory rally tachometer gauge cluster modification from dummy lights, and a nice pumping stereo system. I put about 50000km on it over several years, and it had only 135000km upon selling it.

After driving the car for many years and a few years in storage, it went back to Little Lot for sale, with a reasonable increase in sale price I might add. It went on to a third owner, and was told it was to be a father and son project. The vehicle sale went on to be a small portion of my 2015 Corvette purchase. Another 1978 Monte Carlo I had restored as well was also sold, and the proceeds went to fund the 2015 Vette purchase also, pictures and story to follow eventually on that past vehicle restoration. I love my new Vette, but I sure miss those old Monte's!!

Hmmmmm.... thinking of something to say other than Wow! Your ingenious mod to start the car in cold weather....And to kick it off fast idle... all remotely, is beyond words Zig for someone such as I who has no electronics skill whatsoever...... what a great idea and feat to actually hook it up.... Pretty kewl applying your practical smarts to the Monte....

Wow Ziggy I’ve never heard of a remote start up ever being on a carbureted car before. Let alone the choke function.
Great innovation and a bit diabolical I must say.
I liked those style of Monte Carlos too. They were the best looking GM in that series.
Well done. :thumbs:
D

Reactions: turbozig
Wow Ziggy I’ve never heard of a remote start up ever being on a carbureted car before. Let alone the choke function.
Great innovation and a bit diabolical I must say.
I liked those style of Monte Carlos too. They were the best looking GM in that series.
Well done. :thumbs:
D

The original plan was to lower it slightly, paint it jet gloss black and a nice 383 with all stock look. O well, next life I guess.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.