Could be a number of things... poor ground, solenoid, starter brushes wore out. While someone tries to crank it, try tapping the starter with a hammer.... my old chevy back in the day experience...

Could be a number of things... poor ground, solenoid, starter brushes wore out. While someone tries to crank it, try tapping the starter with a hammer.... my old chevy back in the day experience...
A wise mechanic always had a hammer handy for electrical starter faults.
If it is fairly consistent then whip out the multimeter and have someone hold the switch in start and check current to the starter solenoid. If you have power then it is either the solenoid or the starter. If no power then trace back to the relay. Usually, but not always, a starter is fairly well grounded.

Last edited:
As always look for something simple. I went through a slew of intermittent no start conditions including tows. The problem
I believe was the VATS system. If you try to start it ,but Vats detects an error, you'll get power but no starter and no fuel pump.
Could be a misread of your key resistor, could be the transmission switch. All you can do is organize a check list and go through it one at a time. There is a ton of info on the internet. I got so fed up with mine that the final cure was to install a VATS by pass from New Rockies. Wasn't cheap and it bypasses the entire security system, but ...it starts.

• Informative
Reactions: LE BARON
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread