Settled on this sweet 1984 Z28 - Brand New
It came from the factory with no Stereo - money saved :thumbs:
So first thing was a highly amplified Alpine System from Soundsaround
Everyone heard me coming and going
Raise a Little Hell - Trooper

and here's the first to start the license plate legacy

Purely enjoyed for 6 Summers '84 to '89
Oh those T-top days were awesome !!!
Tracked it twice at Race City - scared the crap out of myself !

in Remembrance for ...
sadly becoming one of those infamous "Just Married" disposals
but I have the Corvette now and am still happily married

I never got waved through any Check-Stop with that nose-bra
(soooo many beer runs to Montana for Coors & Buds - not bottled here back then)
Photos taken visiting Family in Alder Flats Alberta - in the days in the beginning of nearby Em-Te Town
ncad20170913_95.jpg

ncad20170913_96.jpg
ncad20170913_98.jpg

Last edited:
My College Graduate Ride !!!
Wanted a Corvette - Wanted a TransAm

in Remembrance for ...

Photos taken visiting Family in Alder Flats Alberta - in the days in the beginning of nearby Em-Te Town
View attachment 11522
View attachment 11523 View attachment 11524

Nice Spence, could see that being a fun car. I wanted to buy a GTA in about 1988 new from my Chevy dealer, checked on insurance while at the dealership and that was a deal breaker. Settled on a 1980 Monte Carlo t-top car, sweet ride too which I will post once I find some pictures.

Nice Spence, could see that being a fun car. I wanted to buy a GTA in about 1988 new from my Chevy dealer, checked on insurance while at the dealership and that was a deal breaker. Settled on a 1980 Monte Carlo t-top car, sweet ride too which I will post once I find some pictures.
Oh please post ... it's time for me to appreciate those of others as much as you have kindly done of mine :thumbs:

Last edited:
My College Graduate Ride !!!
Wanted a Corvette - Wanted a TransAm

in Remembrance for ...

View attachment 11522
View attachment 11523 View attachment 11524
Did we still require front plates in those days? Trooper!! I liked "two for the show". Old Wayne Matusco had a yellow one of these that got stolen from near "The Beacon" hotel !! When Mitzi Dupree (aka the ping pong ball girl) was performing her talents. Lol.

Cool car and I remember thinking the cockpit of these felt like a fighter jet,sort of.

Did we still require front plates in those days? Trooper!! I liked "two for the show". Old Wayne Matusco had a yellow one of these that got stolen from near "The Beacon" hotel !! When Mitzi Dupree (aka the ping pong ball girl) was performing her talents. Lol.

Cool car and I remember thinking the cockpit of these felt like a fighter jet,sort of.

I do believe two plates required but soon was phased out ...
Holy crap "Reakin at the Beacon" ... have no idea what you are taking about ;)
Knife-checks at the door :nailbiting: and I had to stop going there when one of the "stage performers" :Woot: recognized me from High School :angelic:

Wow, ping pong girl's, knife checks at the door, sound's like a couple of places we used to go to back in the day mid 80's in Edmonton. Too funny guy's, sure brings back some good memories though, and some I don't want to remember. Ha Ha! I'll get my old vehicles on this soon.

I really liked that generation of Camaro. They are starting to become really scarce to find a good example of one.

The son of my neighbors across the alley has a couple in this vintage. He collects them and other classics. He has a couple rag tops and they are like new. He's a good guy. Comes over every time he's visiting to look at my Vette and we chat cars. I'll try and get some Pics for you guys as verts are not common.
Spence your car was a fast car for those days. All dressed up for the period too. Those rear louvers were the must have add on for everyone! Really made our vehicles performance swell on the "cool" meter. :thumbs:

Thanks for the great memories of your Z28.

Reactions: Riley P and YFCvii
All the things one "had" to put on this car to be "cool". Made keeping the back window a bit difficult to keep clean.
I did really hate those wheel center caps. They were always at risk for being stolen.
I use to park it and remove the caps - only to put them back on when I was in the car.
What a pain in the #$$ it was ... especially when a tab broke after doing this too much.
The benefits and fun with having this car far out-weighed these draw-backs though.

Awesome! I had one as well with the 5-speed but no T-top. Looks like you had the same louvers on the back that I did. Mine was silver with charcoal trim. What a blast I had in that car. I think I still have the bra I bought for it.
I almost bought a new IROC Z28 in 87. What creamed that deal is if your get the 220 whopping HP 350, only the automatic transmission was available. Standard wasn't offered for this engine..
Kind of like the C6 Z having only the fixed roof thing...thus my C6 Z was with me less than 6 months.

Still love the Z28 though..

Reactions: Riley P and 12cents
I almost bought a new IROC Z28 in 87. What creamed that deal is if your get the 220 whopping HP 350, only the automatic transmission was available. Standard wasn't offered for this engine..
Kind of like the C6 Z having only the fixed roof thing...thus my C6 Z was with me less than 6 months.

Same here. I liked the IROC and went and checked one out. When I found out I couldn't get a standard I wouldn't even test drive one.

Reactions: ddgermann
Oh the irony. I have a targa top in my Z51 that has been out maybe 5 times. I have t-roofs in my TA that have been out maybe 15 times (and I've owned it for 12 years). I'm not an open-roof kind of guy, and I've actually always loved the C5 & C6 Z06 for the fixed-roof stability and structural integrity.

As for the IROC-Z, the 305 tuned-port (230hp) with a 5-speed manual was no slouch! I beat a Trans Am GTA (5.7L auto) with one, and even tied a beating on an 87 Corvette (also auto) with it. In fact, a Firebird Formula is still on my list of wants, and I helped a friend buy a low-mileage one just last year.

I seriously miss those old days when the autos were lame, and a good driver with a manual transmission could kick some serious ass. The fun that I had with both a Sunbird GT Turbo and a Sunbird SE 3.1 V6 against absolutely anything that would try..... I didn't always win of course, but I handed out a lot of surprises.

Reactions: YFCvii
Oh the irony. I have a targa top in my Z51 that has been out maybe 5 times. I have t-roofs in my TA that have been out maybe 15 times (and I've owned it for 12 years). I'm not an open-roof kind of guy, and I've actually always loved the C5 & C6 Z06 for the fixed-roof stability and structural integrity.

As for the IROC-Z, the 305 tuned-port (230hp) with a 5-speed manual was no slouch! I beat a Trans Am GTA (5.7L auto) with one, and even tied a beating on an 87 Corvette (also auto) with it. In fact, a Firebird Formula is still on my list of wants, and I helped a friend buy a low-mileage one just last year.

I seriously miss those old days when the autos were lame, and a good driver with a manual transmission could kick some serious ass. The fun that I had with both a Sunbird GT Turbo and a Sunbird SE 3.1 V6 against absolutely anything that would try..... I didn't always win of course, but I handed out a lot of surprises.

My wife's 1986 Sunbird GT Turbo will be posted soon (for your enjoyment too) ... OMG you mentioning it !

I remember being confused as to way they never allowed the 350 with the standard transmission.....I still would have loved one though. I think my 81 Camaro was the last year (Different generation I realize) you could still get a standard with the 350 (until the limited edition 1992 Firehawk), and it was an option only available in Canada that year as the US Camaro's had some sort of computer control on the engine so they only came with auto's making it sort of rare-ish. (And I'm not including the 4th Gen Camaro as you could get the 6-spped with the LT1).

When first looking for my C5, I searched and searched for a regular coupe without the targa until I realized you could not get a fixed roof on the normal coupe, just the FRC's/Z06's. I could not afford one of those and didn't like the shape as much at the time, so I ended up with a Targa. I've had the roof out maybe a dozen times. A couple times just because but mostly only due to passenger's requests. I love that the roof is fixed in the C6Z and ZR1.

I remember being confused as to way they never allowed the 350 with the standard transmission.....I still would have loved one though. I think my 81 Camaro was the last year (Different generation I realize) you could still get a standard with the 350 (until the limited edition 1992 Firehawk), and it was an option only available in Canada that year as the US Camaro's had some sort of computer control on the engine so they only came with auto's making it sort of rare-ish. (And I'm not including the 4th Gen Camaro as you could get the 6-spped with the LT1).

When first looking for my C5, I searched and searched for a regular coupe without the targa until I realized you could not get a fixed roof on the normal coupe, just the FRC's/Z06's. I could not afford one of those and didn't like the shape as much at the time, so I ended up with a Targa. I've had the roof out maybe a dozen times. A couple times just because but mostly only due to passenger's requests. I love that the roof is fixed in the C6Z and ZR1.

Interesting how we all have our own experiences and desires with these cars Riley. Interesting bit of powertrain history on the Z28s that I didn't know. Thanks
All of my Z28s and 1 Trans Am had fixed roofs and I envied the T-top guys daily. Those cars just looked great with the t-roofs out.

My 13 Z06 of course had a fixed roof and I thought how did I end up without a removable top again??!!
So now a summer in a 15 and 17 Z06 with the targa top has me convinced never again will I have a fixed roof. Especially knowing the open topped C7s are 60% more rigid than the fixed roof C6 Z06.

I know its all about preference but driving the Z with the top off just feels great to me. I so far do not want the full vert but... never say never right. :thumbs:

Reactions: Riley P
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread