What gives with this 1978 Corvette engine VIN MD26800?

• Mexico Crate Engine ?

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Not a Corvette Engine ?

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Dealer Warranty Engine Replacement ?

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Sep 22, 2017
Waterloo
VetteCoins
Car
1978 Corvette
actual engine code.jpg
I have a 1978 Corvette. Examining the vehicle I noticed an odd Engine VIN which is MD26800. After hours on the Internet I can only assume it is a Mexico Crate Engine and no way to tell size or horsepower. If anyone has some knowledge about this VIN please share. Many thanks !!

No actual first hand knowledge but I know Mexico GM plants supplied crate motors for hot rodders. They were also used as replacement engines for some GM cars.
I knew someone that bought a 350 ci from Mexico.

An interesting quest...
Possibly a 67 or 68 Camaro engine?? (1st link)
Certainly doesn't match any codes for Corvette in any year. (3rd link)
Dan where exactly on the block did you get this number?
Actually doesn't match any GM engine code I could find either.

Chevy Camaro Engine Suffix Codes

Chevy Engine Codes - on Chevy-Camaro.com

Corvette Engine Code Stamping Numbers Pages 1 - 6 - Text Version | AnyFlip
Thanks for your response. The engine VIN was found in the popular spot passenger side on engine block below AC Compressor. It is a flat machined area that faces upward for easy viewing and of course is specifically designated for the engine VIN.

Reactions: ddgermann
Thanks for your response. The engine VIN was found in the popular spot passenger side on engine block below AC Compressor. It is a flat machined area that faces upward for easy viewing and of course is specifically designated for the engine VIN.

Ya Dan that's where to look. Too bad there is no way to check casting numbers on the back of the engine just below the head deck.
I will look around some more today. I went through this with my H1 which had a replaced engine... but it was easy compared to this one.
:Biggrin:

D

Ya Dan that's where to look. Too bad there is no way to check casting numbers on the back of the engine just below the head deck.
I will look around some more today. I went through this with my H1 which had a replaced engine... but it was easy compared to this one.
:Biggrin:

D
Hi, I did some more looking at the engine and did find more numbers etc at back of engine on drivers side. "GM HECKO EN MEXICO 3970010" . I cannot yet tell if these words and numbers are stamped on engine block or bell housing. They are facing upward and if not part of the block they are very close to it, indeed !

Hi, I did some more looking at the engine and did find more numbers etc at back of engine on drivers side. "GM HECKO EN MEXICO 3970010" . I cannot yet tell if these words and numbers are stamped on engine block or bell housing. They are facing upward and if not part of the block they are very close to it, indeed !

Yes looks like for sure a crate engine Dan. We should be able to tell the year it was cast and if it was a warranty replacement by the dealer or just bought and installed sometime later with these numbers.
Good engine though. Looking forward to discovering the details on it.

D

Yes looks like for sure a crate engine Dan. We should be able to tell the year it was cast and if it was a warranty replacement by the dealer or just bought and installed sometime later with these numbers.
Good engine though. Looking forward to discovering the details on it.

D

If it's a transmission number we can easily determine that too. But the "Hecko en Mexico" points heavily toward the engine. :thumbs:

Dan from the website below:

3970010 1969-69 350 255-350 4 Truck/Passenger/Chevelle/Chevy II/Corvette/Camaro
3970010 1970-80 350 145-350 2/4 Truck/Passenger/Chevelle/Chevy II/Corvette/Camaro
Chevy Small Block Engine Casting Codes

This from this site: 3970010 69-79 302/350 car & Truck 2 & 4-Bolt Most common
Chevy Casting Number identification - Block casting numbers

From this site: 3970010 Small Block V8 1969 302, 4 bolt, Camaro Z28
http://www.enginelabs.com/news/reference-chevy-engine-block-casting-numbers/

So it looks like for sure you have a replacement engine made in Mexico (Targetmaster) cast between 69 and 80. The numbers on the rear of the engine..same place other side should have the date code. You may be able to narrow it down from there to a 2 or 4 bolt main. Interestingly Corvette is listed a home for this engine in the first site. But because of the "Hecko en Mexico" it's pretty likely yours is a Targetmaster replacement. You can also do a search for your car through GM to determine if it ever had a warranty engine replacement. Your favorite GM parts or service guy should be able to do this for you. Sometimes you have to push a bit because these searches can be a bit tedious and have some dead ends. Been through this but a good parts person can definitely do it. The record does exist.

By the way there is a huge forum debate on certain vintages of this Mexican made engine. Some say it is actually softer metals and wear out quick. While equally or more guys rave about them as having a slightly different alloy and being fantastic for building power engines. And yet others say they just run the engine stock and have had no problems... It's good for a laugh reading this stuff.

Look forward to finding out more Dan

Derek

Reactions: Riley P