Mar 15, 2018
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
1971 Corvette
Province
AB
Hi,

I am planning on buying a 1976 stingray corvette. I went to check one out that I was interested in. I noticed that both the front and rear bumpers were warped. It had a wave shape to it on the top of the bumper. There were places on the bumper where it would dip down. I asked the seller why it was like that and he told me that its because of the sun and the UV rays. I was just wondering if that is possible? Can the sun really warp a car like that?

Hi PRAB...
Welcome to the CCForums.
The factory front & rear bumper covers are made of a flexible poly product that are supposed to take an impact and return to their shape. As this product gets older it tends to no longer be straight. This is quite common. Some people refit these covers with flexi-fibreglass, or a hard fibreglass product when restoring their cars.
If Corvettes are new to you I strongly suggest you have the car checked out by a qualified mechanic familiar with Corvettes before finalizing a deal. These cars have a few items that can be costly if not caught ahead of time.

Good luck with your search.
Keep us posted as to what you get.

Graham

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day
So it is not because of the sun and UV rays, but mostly because the car is old?
Also this car only has 93,000 Km on it and he says that the rear spindle needs to be replaced. Is this normal for a car this old, or do you think that he's been driving recklessly and thats how the spindle got damaged? Also, if the spindle is damaged would that also mean that the differential and drive shaft might be damaged as well?

Hi PRAB
The bumper covers get old and wavy.

Are you sure on the mileage?
I have a 1975 Coupe and my odometer reads in MILES, not Kilometers.
Maybe the 1976 Canadian models are in Kilometres?? I didn’t think KMs happened until the ‘80s.

It is common to have to do the rear spindles at this age and mileage.
Be aware this is not cheap. Like I mentioned before, there are specific Corvette items that can be costly.
You just have to be aware. Rear spindles can be $1K/side if you send it to a shop.
You can do this yourself if you have the special tools for bearing removal & set-up.
Inner stub axle wear can also be an issue if not checked properly. Add another $1K(approx).

You should also look for leaky brake calipers.
And frame rot in a few specific locations...just ahead of the rear wheels and the birdcage around the firewall.

Keep the questions coming... it will help you get the car you want.

Graham

I will need to double check on the KM. He said it was 93,000km but he might've converted mileage into km thinking it might help with selling the car. If the car needs to be fixed, I am planning on doing the mechanical fixes myself. Can a spindle that would fit the 1976 corvette be easily obtainable? If I am changing the spindle, would it be recommended that I replace the differential as well?
If there is frame rot, is there anything to do to minimize it?

Prab, I admire your "get it fixed" attitude but there is a limit to what makes sense on a value to cost ratio. There are lots of cars out there, all in various states of conditions. Don't jump at the first one, have a look at a few and based on your observations and some of the information Graham has provided you can make a good choice.

Best of luck.

Too many red flags for me.Myself,I’d walk away from this one.

Yup me too. Prab unless you are getting this car for very little $$ and are prepared to work on it this season instead of driving it; I would say thanks...no thanks. If you know about this stuff...imagine what you are going to find when you really get looking. This could and will likely roll into some serious $$$. This is fine if the Birdcage is ok and you want to tear the thing apart and do a restoration but if you are looking for something to actually drive and enjoy now, this is likely not your car Man.

No idea what you expect to spend on your Corvette or if you're stuck on a C3 but for $35,000 you can get a fantastic and much newer car with very low KMs on it.
If you are set on a C3 and don't want a project; keep looking as with all those KMs this car sounds a bit worn out to me. There are plenty around that are all redone with proven good birdcages for very decent prices.

Just my 2 cents,

Derek

Hi,

I am planning on buying a 1976 stingray corvette. I went to check one out that I was interested in. I noticed that both the front and rear bumpers were warped. It had a wave shape to it on the top of the bumper. There were places on the bumper where it would dip down. I asked the seller why it was like that and he told me that its because of the sun and the UV rays. I was just wondering if that is possible? Can the sun really warp a car like that?

Look what popped up today....

2002 Z06 For Sale

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.