Hi Midex.... Welcome to the forum. You have an interesting question as being from Alberta, we do not have a lot of laws regarding our vehicles....lol... My opinion (for what it's worth), and knowing only a tiny bit about US rules is: Although your 72 is an antique and probably grandfathered in regards to emission regulations, side pipes on a 72 were not a factory option so you are actually modifying the car. That probably puts you in a whole new category where they will likely want both cats and your pipes exiting behind the axles. If you require yearly inspections like some of our Cdn provinces, that may become problematic unless you know a friendly inspection garage. If you do, I'm betting that the local police have better things to do and probably wouldn't even know the 72 didn't have side pipes... If you get a ticketed, send it to me... I won't pay it bit I will frame it for my man cave....lol... jk... good luck.

Reactions: ddgermann
Welcome to the Forum midex. I am unsure about the laws in your State, however as Rruuff Day mentioned, here in Alberta almost any exhaust is okay. I thought about putting them on my 70, however I did not want to modify any fiberglass on the fenders as is required for factory GM side pipes. Please post some pictures of your 72. Cheers!

Would any local exhaust system outlets and installers In Massachusetts have any better clue than we would up here?
It would be a quick phone call (or drive by) to nearby shops to inquire with a shop foreman who knows what he does for "his living".
Please epilogue with your findings ... and photo results are always welcome ... :thumbs:

Midex. I see you have a couple questions tied into your profile as well. You will get a better response from the members here if you introduce yourself and your car in the 'New Users' section of the forum and ask your questions there as well.

Years ago when I was looking at the Factory Five Cobra kits the issue of side exhausts came up. From memory, which is not great, there were some issue with compliance both in Canada and the United States. Perhaps asking the question to the DMV would be a good start, we can only help you get in lots of trouble.

Good luck and again welcome.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread