ssgtjarhead

I'm New Here
Nov 6, 2022
VetteCoins
Car
1968 C3
Province
USA
Sure, the outside always looks amazing, but what about other components?

I’m looking at this ‘68 roadster that has a crate motor 1974 454 BB bored to 505. Runs very well. No smoke at all and shifts and rides great.

Paint is amazing.

Interior needs work. Missing knobs. Missing gauges. Tachometer doesn’t work. Parking brake doesn’t work. Wipers don’t work. Headlights do work. Different motor so vacuum issues I’m sure.

My issue here is rust on the frame, and underneath. I’ve seen worse ones being posted out there, but curious what others think? My pics suck, but hopefully these give an idea. Have videos too.

Hagerty’s puts this car in the 33k range if in “good” condition, seller is close to that price.

See images below:

Photos

My guess is those pictures tell nothing really in the way of major rust concerns.
The real rust issues start at the rear frame behind the doors where the kick-up happens.
That is the beginning.
Now comes the hidden birdcage rust. Beginning at the top see if you can remove the stainless cover above the T-structure to see what the top on the windshield looks like. Maybe even remove the windshield stainless surround covers on the A-pillars to look closer.. the owner may not wish to do this as rivets may need to be removed. If you are lucky these pieces may have been replaced before and replaced using screws.
Now to check the birdcage below the windshield you can easily remove the plastic parts in the kick-panel are under the dash. You will see a body mount in there. Look for water or rust in that area. Tapping in there with a plastic hammer look for rust particles dropping down from above.
if you are serious about this car it is a must to get this car upon a hoist to look at the whole chassis.
40 years ago I was about to deal on a ‘64 Coupe.I took it to my friend’s shop and put it on a hoist. My friend found frame rot under the door area and some prior owner had covered it with sheet metal and thick paint. The dealer selling the car had no idea. That is why I am not driving a ‘64 Coupe today! Well worth the $75 to have the car checked-out.
Others on this forum have totally rebuilt C3s and show the extent they had to go to restoring the car.
good luck.
graham

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread