Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
I grew up with my dad owning a 65 Corvette Convertible. I can still remember the sound of the engine through the side pipes and the smell of the exhaust left in the garage after he drove away. He sold it when I was 9 to buy a minivan for us kids (thanks dad). We would talk muscle cars and he always liked the 66 Chevelle with the 396. Years later, when I was out of high school, my dad decided to get a 66 Chevelle for his 50th. He found the one below. A Malibu SS, Canadian A51 car (no Super Sports available in Canada that year) that was originally a 283 power-glide, and had been switched over to a 396. The car was a driver. The paint was a bit faded, it had a ding on the front fender, a rust spot in the back window, but overall, was solid, and had only the slightest surface rust underneath. After some discussion, he bought it for $6,000. He had the front fender fixed, and after a couple years of owning the car, he sourced a 4 speed for it and had it installed because he said, with the PG, it was only an exercise to look out the front window.
He'd let me take it out and I enjoyed every second. When I went to SIAST to be a service technician, I pulled the transmission and had the flywheel and surfaces of the scatter shield machined, installed a new clutch as the old one was slipping, tore apart the transmission and fixed reverse gear, fixed the 'Z' bar, and put it all back together. In the mid 2000's my dad wanted to sell the car, so I bought it off him to keep it around. The car got 100 miles to the tank and cost $100 to fill plus the lead substitute, but I enjoyed every one of those miles. The car sounded awesome as whoever built the engine had a really nice cam in it, which came to life when I put on the dual 3" exhaust. I got a lot of compliments on the sound of that car and I still haven't heard any modern car has the same authoritative sound that the old BBC's have. I planned on keeping the car forever, but family priorities came first. I sold the car, like many others in my situation, to buy a house. Now I only have the Corvette, that can now sit in a garage, to dry my tears. :D
IMG_4769.JPG

I grew up with my dad owning a 65 Corvette Convertible. I can still remember the sound of the engine through the side pipes and the smell of the exhaust left in the garage after he drove away. He sold it when I was 9 to buy a minivan for us kids (thanks dad). We would talk muscle cars and he always liked the 66 Chevelle with the 396. Years later, when I was out of high school, my dad decided to get a 66 Chevelle for his 50th. He found the one below. A Malibu SS, Canadian A51 car (no Super Sports available in Canada that year) that was originally a 283 power-glide, and had been switched over to a 396. The car was a driver. The paint was a bit faded, it had a ding on the front fender, a rust spot in the back window, but overall, was solid, and had only the slightest surface rust underneath. After some discussion, he bought it for $6,000. He had the front fender fixed, and after a couple years of owning the car, he sourced a 4 speed for it and had it installed because he said, with the PG, it was only an exercise to look out the front window.
He'd let me take it out and I enjoyed every second. When I went to SIAST to be a service technician, I pulled the transmission and had the flywheel and surfaces of the scatter shield machined, installed a new clutch as the old one was slipping, tore apart the transmission and fixed reverse gear, fixed the 'Z' bar, and put it all back together. In the mid 2000's my dad wanted to sell the car, so I bought it off him to keep it around. The car got 100 miles to the tank and cost $100 to fill plus the lead substitute, but I enjoyed every one of those miles. The car sounded awesome as whoever built the engine had a really nice cam in it, which came to life when I put on the dual 3" exhaust. I got a lot of compliments on the sound of that car and I still haven't heard any modern car has the same authoritative sound that the old BBC's have. I planned on keeping the car forever, but family priorities came first. I sold the car, like many others in my situation, to buy a house. Now I only have the Corvette, that can now sit in a garage, to dry my tears. :D
View attachment 11481
Love this car. The 66 was and is a fave car of mine. Beautiful car Riley.

Thanks Murray. I hope to get some old iron again one day.

Love this car. The 66 was and is a fave car of mine. Beautiful car Riley.

Thanks Mike. Seeing the picture makes me a bit sad that I don't have the car anymore....but thinking that I have a house and garage because of it, makes it worth it.

View attachment 11481

Beautiful car Riley. The 66 and 67 Chevelle's are my favorites. I agree the BBC is such a unique sounding creature, thus this is why I purchased my 70 454 LS5 Vette. It has been a money pit and a labor of love, but the smile I get every time I start it and that pedal hits the floor is priceless. Thank for sharing!

Great story Riley. The car looks fantastic. Funny how our priorities change as we go through life and then return back to what we loved once the house is looked after, kids are fed, watered and running on their own power.
I grew up riding in the back of a 66ish purple impala. My dad worked in a body shop back then and to this day he will not admit he painted that car purple on purpose. He still sticks to the story of "I just mixed up some left over paint"
Pretty sure he picked the colour as he was barely 25 then. o_O
Thanks for sharing.

I had a Robin's Egg Blue, 66 Chevelle SS 327 4 speed as a young feller, the motor and tranny had been well abused by the time I got it.
I dropped a warmed up 409 dual 4 bbl and Borg Warner T-10 4 speed into it. Custom made headers and full exhaust, narrowed the rear end and jammed as large a tire that would fit into the wheel wells. Even with ladder bars, first gear would roast the tires.
Wish I would have kept that car.......

View attachment 11481
:Woot:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.