Featured Thread
Jan 8, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1959 Corvette 4speed
I introduced myself about a week ago and promised some photos. Does anyone know where I would find the identification tag? I looked on the steering shaft and both doors, no luck. What do you guys think of the car? It's still in storage and has been for 24 years. Will post more pictures after its rolled out.
IMG_20190112_160345.jpg
IMG_20190112_155946.jpg
IMG_20190112_160300.jpg
IMG_20190112_160037.jpg

Only original items missing are the hubcaps, air breather and lockout shifter. There's a Hurst Short throw that was installed before 1983. The hood has been refinished as well. At one time also before 1983 someone had installed a ram air unit and it got returned to stock style before it was purchased by my uncle. The original wonderbar radio is in my possession but an Alpine cassette deck was installed in 1985.

...Nice . I could pack lunch and a lawn chair and sit by that car all day looking at it all over . Wonderbar , that is cool you got it. I like the color too. Do you have the original intake and WCFB carb for it ? I presume it still has the original 283, great motors. Great find and hope you have fun working on it and get many miles and smiles cruising in the 59. .....:thumbs:.....

"Does anyone know where I would find the identification tag? I looked on the steering shaft and both doors, no luck."

By identification tag do you mean the VIN (vehicle identification number) tag? If so the 1959 model year Corvette VIN tag was mounted with two Phillips heads screws in the drivers side forward door jam between the body side door hinges. Not on the doors. I have attached a sample photo of a '59 VIN tag.

The VIN tag location was moved to the steering shaft housing on the engine side of the fire wall early in the 1960 model year production which was the fall of 1959. So early 1960s have it screwed to the drivers forward door jam. It was spot welded to the steering shaft housing.

J59S101478 VIN tag + E.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Hotrodron
...Nice . I could pack lunch and a lawn chair and sit by that car all day looking at it all over . Wonderbar , that is cool you got it. I like the color too. Do you have the original intake and WCFB carb for it ? I presume it still has the original 283, great motors. Great find and hope you have fun working on it and get many miles and smiles cruising in the 59. .....:thumbs:.....
I'm going to go over the car with a fine tooth comb. I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible. Will update when I do so.

"Does anyone know where I would find the identification tag? I looked on the steering shaft and both doors, no luck."

By identification tag do you mean the VIN (vehicle identification number) tag? If so the 1959 model year Corvette VIN tag was mounted with two Phillips heads screws in the drivers side forward door jam between the body side door hinges. Not on the doors. I have attached a sample photo of a '59 VIN tag.

The VIN tag location was moved to the steering shaft housing on the engine side of the fire wall early in the 1960 model year production which was the fall of 1959. So early 1960s have it screwed to the drivers forward door jam. It was spot welded to the steering shaft housing.

View attachment 22995
I appreciate your thorough response. I was looking in the wrong spots. Hard to see properly in a dark barn. I will get the vin and decode it.

Funny thing is I purchased the car before going to see it. I knew it was in great shape. I recalled the car as crown sapphire in colour hence my username. When I went to see it as you can see above it's actually frost blue with white coves. Funny mistake. I'm happy with either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.